Two stars orbiting a common center

In summary, the gravitational force on each star is F=\frac{GCM}{R^2} and the period of each star's orbit is T=\frac{GCM}{R^2}. The total mechanical energy of this system is E=\frac{2GCM}{R^2}+\frac{2v^2}{R}.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

Two stars, each of mass M, move in a circular orbit of radius R around their common center of mass C.
a) what is the gravitational force on each star?

b) what is the period of each star's orbit?

c) what is the total mechanical energy (potential + kinetic) of this system?

Homework Equations

[itex]F = \frac{GMm}{r^2} [/itex]

[itex] a_R = \frac{v^2}{r} [/itex]

[itex] v = \frac{2piR}{T} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [itex]F = \frac{GCM}{R^2} [/itex]b) [itex] \frac{GCM}{R^2} = \frac{Mv^2}{R}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{GC}{R} = v^2[/itex]

[itex] \frac{GC}{R} = (\frac{2piR}{T})^2[/itex]

[itex] \frac{GC}{R} = \frac{4pi^2R^2}{T^2}[/itex]

[itex] GC= \frac{4pi^2R^3}{T^2}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{GC}{4pi^2R^3}= \frac{1}{T^2}[/itex]

[itex] \frac{4pi^2R^3}{GC}= T^2[/itex]

[itex] T = (\frac{4pi^2R^3}{GC})^\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

c)
[itex] E = \frac{2GCM}{R^2} + \frac{2v^2}{R} [/itex]

Am i doing these right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The thread title says two planets around a star. The problem says two planets around each other. The questions ask about orbits of stars. Make up your mind will you?

oops just edited it and fixed it. It's two starts orbiting around C. Picture C as a point and one star is a distance R to the left of it and the other star is a distance R to the right of it

What do you mean on GC?

ehild

G is the gravitational constant and C is the center of mass

OH. I see the problem now. Give me a second I will fix my equation

##C## initially was just a label of a point, the centre of mass. It does not mean anything else and it should not enter Newton's gravitation law as if it were mass. The only mass you have is ##M##, it is the mass of each star.

The radius ##R## is distance between a star and ##C##, not between the two stars.

Take the above into account and you should be able to solve this problem.

Nevermind I think I have confused myself. I do see now that i can't use C as a mass that they are orbiting around but I don't know where to go from here.

[itex] F = \frac{GM^2}{4R^2} [/itex]

is that correct for the force on each star?

Yes, that is correct.

so the starting equation to find T would be:

[itex] \frac{GM^2}{4R^2} = \frac{Mv^2}{R} [/itex]

Yes.

ehild

[note: I have modified the thread title to reflect the clarified problem statement -- gneill]

and for the last part E = K + U
[itex] \frac{GM^2}{4R^2} + \frac{Mv^2}{R} + \frac{GM^2}{4R^2} + \frac{Mv^2}{R} [/itex]

[itex] E = \frac{GM^2}{2R^2} + \frac{2Mv^2}{R} [/itex]

Do you know how the potential energy and kinetic energy are defined?
Are they forces? Or something else?

ehild

what dimensions does [itex] \frac{GM^{2}}{R^{2}}[/itex] have?
let's see...
[itex] \frac{Nm^{2}}{kg^{2}}|_{G} \times kg^{2}|_{M^2} \times \frac{1}{m^{2}}|_{1/R^{2}}[/itex]
I don't see energy... (Nm)

Neither for [itex]\frac{Mu^{2}}{R}[/itex] which obviously has force units... kg m/s^2

oh right they are not forces the force of gravity would be the gravitational potential energy times the mass i think. so remove one M from the force of gravity equation and it would be the potential energy? and the kinetic energy is (1/2)mv^2
so for one of the stars:

[itex] U =\frac{GM}{4R^2} [/itex]

[itex] K = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}M\frac{4pi^2R^2}{T^2} = \frac{2Mpi^2R^2}{T^2}[/itex]

Let's check it again :P
[itex] \frac{Nm^2}{kg^{2}} kg \frac{1}{m^{2}}\ne Nm=J[/itex]
By the previous (Post 16) dimensional analysis I gave you, you can see you are missing a [lenght] power on the nominator for the potential energy...
Also this can be seen by the fact that the force is (- gradient of a potential). So since forces are 1/r^2 how should the potential energy be?
by [itex]m[/itex] I mean meters (because I am trying to show that you are dimensionally wrong, and what you have is not energy, energy is [itex]J=N*m[/itex])

Last edited:
toothpaste666 said:
oh right they are not forces the force of gravity would be the gravitational potential energy times the mass i think.

wrong... How the potential energy is defined? Is not it connected to work somehow?
ehild

ChrisVer said:
Also this can be seen by the fact that the force is the divergence of a potential. So since forces are

Force is the negative gradient of the potential energy.

ehild

I corrected it, although I didn't care about the +/- sign since dimensionally it wouldn't play a role...since the OP shows some weakness in seeing the dimensions of what he's writting.

[itex] \frac{M^2G}{R} [/itex]

this would make the units fit and it makes sense because if you look at U as mgy since g is for Earth this version of it would be [itex] \frac{GM}{R^2}[/itex] m would be M and y would be R so mgy would be [itex] \frac{M^2G}{R} [/itex]

That's fine (for the potential)... and the result is general, every force law which goes as ~1/r2 corresponds to a potential with ~1/r behavior.

and my result for kinetic energy was also wrong?

If the stars move on circles (fixed R), then your kinetic energy result is also correct (I guess)...

toothpaste666 said:
[itex] \frac{M^2G}{R} [/itex]

this would make the units fit and it makes sense because if you look at U as mgy since g is for Earth this version of it would be [itex] \frac{GM}{R^2}[/itex] m would be M and y would be R so mgy would be [itex] \frac{M^2G}{R} [/itex]

The dimension is correct now, but the sign is wrong. The gravitational potential energy is negative.

ehild

Related to Two stars orbiting a common center

1. What is the definition of "two stars orbiting a common center"?

When two stars are orbiting a common center, it means that both stars are moving in a circular or elliptical path around a shared point in space. This point is known as the center of mass or barycenter.

2. How do two stars orbiting a common center form?

Two stars can form a common center when they are in close proximity to each other and have a strong gravitational pull towards each other. Over time, the stars will start to orbit each other in a circular or elliptical path, with the center of mass being the point around which they both revolve.

3. What is the significance of two stars orbiting a common center?

The significance of two stars orbiting a common center is that it provides evidence for the existence of gravitational forces between celestial bodies. It also allows scientists to study the dynamics of binary star systems and gain a better understanding of the formation and evolution of stars.

4. How do scientists study two stars orbiting a common center?

Scientists use various techniques such as spectroscopy, photometry, and interferometry to study two stars orbiting a common center. These methods allow them to measure the properties of the stars, such as their masses, orbital periods, and distances from each other.

5. Can two stars orbiting a common center eventually collide?

Yes, it is possible for two stars orbiting a common center to eventually collide. This can happen when the stars are in a tight orbit and their gravitational pull causes them to spiral towards each other. However, such collisions are rare and usually occur in much larger star systems.