Two stacked blocks on a table. Friction problem

In summary, to find the maximum force that can be applied to the lower block without having the upper block slide off, you can use Newton's second law to set up equations for each block and then solve for F in terms of known variables. The final expression for F takes into account both static and kinetic friction coefficients and the masses of both blocks.
HeRo
:cry:

I need help with the following problem, I have tried a few different things, but none of them seem to be working:

Two blocks are stacked on a table. The upper block has a mass of 8.2 kg and the lower block has a mass of 35 kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the table is 0.22 and the coefficient of static friction between the upper and lower blocks is 0.14. How much force can be applied to the lower block without having the upper block slide off?

Can someone explain how I would do this? It's got something to do with acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
HeRo said:
...I have tried a few different things

Like what? Please show us some attempt at solving the problem, or at least reasoning through it to some degree.

Last edited:
HeRo said:
:cry:

I need help with the following problem, I have tried a few different things, but none of them seem to be working:

Two blocks are stacked on a table. The upper block has a mass of 8.2 kg and the lower block has a mass of 35 kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the lower block and the table is 0.22 and the coefficient of static friction between the upper and lower blocks is 0.14. How much force can be applied to the lower block without having the upper block slide off?

Can someone explain how I would do this? It's got something to do with acceleration.

Apply Newton's second law to each block. Then solve simultaneous equations until you have an expression for F in terms of known variables. For the upper block
[itex]
\begin{align*}
\Sigma F_y & = 0 \\
n_1 - m_1g & = 0 \\
n_1 & = m_1g \\
\Sigma F_x & = m_1a \\
f_\mathrm{s} & = m_1a \\
f_\mathrm{s} & \leq \mu_\mathrm{s}n_1\\
m_1a & \leq \mu_\mathrm{s}m_1g
\end{align*}
[/itex]
For the lower block
[itex]
\begin{align*}
\Sigma F_y & = 0 \\
n_2 - m_2g - n_1 & = 0 \\
n_2 & = n_1 + m_2g \\
n_2 & = g(m_1 + m_2) \\
\Sigma F_x & = m_2 a \\
F - f_\mathrm{k} - f_\mathrm{s} & = m_2a \\
F - \mu_\mathrm{k}n_2 - f_\mathrm{s} & = m_2a \\
F - \mu_\mathrm{k}g(m_1 + m_2) - f_\mathrm{s} & = \frac{m_2f_\mathrm{s}}{m_1} \\
F - \mu_\mathrm{k}g(m_1 + m_2) & = f_\mathrm{s}\left(1 +\frac{m_2}{m_1}\right) \\
f_\mathrm{s} & = \frac{F - \mu_\mathrm{k}g(m_1 + m_2)}{1 +\frac{m_2}{m_1}} \\
\frac{F - \mu_\mathrm{k}g(m_1 + m_2)}{1 +\frac{m_2}{m_1}}& \leq \mu_\mathrm{s}m_1g \\
\end{align*}
[/itex]
so
[itex]
\begin{align*}
F & \leq \mu_\mathrm{s}m_1g\left(1 +\frac{m_2}{m_1}\right) + \mu_\mathrm{k}g(m_1 + m_2)
\end{align*}
[/itex]

Related to Two stacked blocks on a table. Friction problem

1. How does friction affect the two stacked blocks on a table?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of two objects in contact. In the case of two stacked blocks on a table, friction can prevent the top block from sliding off the bottom block and falling to the ground.

2. What factors affect the amount of friction between the two stacked blocks?

The amount of friction between the two stacked blocks depends on the type of surface they are in contact with, the force pushing them together, and the roughness of the surfaces. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of lubricants can also affect friction.

3. How do you calculate the force of friction between the two stacked blocks?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force (the force pushing the two blocks together). The coefficient of friction depends on the materials of the two surfaces in contact.

4. Can friction be reduced in the two stacked blocks?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, which create a layer between the two surfaces and reduce the roughness. Additionally, using smoother surfaces or decreasing the force pushing the blocks together can also reduce friction.

5. How can friction be useful in the two stacked blocks on a table?

Friction can be useful in preventing the top block from sliding off the bottom block and causing it to fall. It also allows us to control the movement of objects and perform tasks such as writing, walking, and driving.