Two slit experiment - quantum theory - problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with finding the average number of photons registered behind pinhole 1 in a two-slit experiment. The equation for this, \bar{n}_1=\langle n|a_{1}^{+}a_{1}|n\rangle=\frac{\langle 0|(a^{+})^{n}a_{1}^{+}a_{1}(a^{+})^{n}|0\rangle}{n!}is provided, along with the use of creation and destruction operators, a^{+}=\frac{(a_{1}^{+}+a_{2}^{+})}{ \sqrt{2}}and a=\frac{(a_{1}
dageki
Hi, I'm new and I'm from Poland.
I have problem with equation(average number of photons registered behind pinhole 1 in two slit experiment):
[tex]\bar{n}_1=\langle n|a_{1}^{+}a_{1}|n\rangle=\frac{\langle 0|(a^{+})^{n}a_{1}^{+}a_{1}(a^{+})^{n}|0\rangle}{n!}[/tex]
using:
[tex]a^{+}=\frac{(a_{1}^{+}+a_{2}^{+})}{ \sqrt{2}}[/tex]
and
[tex]a=\frac{(a_{1}+a_{2})}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
and
[tex]|n\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}}(a^{+})^{n}|0\rangle[/tex]
and using usual creation and destruction oprator properties, to give finally :
[tex]\bar{n}_1=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

I have no idea how to do it...
Big thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
dageki said:
Hi, I'm new and I'm from Poland.
I have problem with equation(average number of photons registered behind pinhole 1 in two slit experiment):
[tex]\bar{n}_1=\langle n|a_{1}^{+}a_{1}|n\rangle=\frac{\langle 0|(a^{+})^{n}a_{1}^{+}a_{1}(a^{+})^{n}|0\rangle}{n!}[/tex]
using:
[tex]a^{+}=\frac{(a_{1}^{+}+a_{2}^{+})}{ \sqrt{2}}[/tex]
and
[tex]a=\frac{(a_{1}+a_{2})}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
and
[tex]|n\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}}(a^{+})^{n}|0\rangle[/tex]
and using usual creation and destruction oprator properties, to give finally :
[tex]\bar{n}_1=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

I have no idea how to do it...
Big thnx

Welcome
Hi i think that you must specify that whether there is a detector or not at any of the slits and whether the other slit is open or not.Other wise refer volume three of feynman lectures

We have a stream of photons incident on a pair of identical pinholes. We assume that only a single mode of the cavity (cavity formed by the lens and the first screen) is excited, with photon creation and destruction operators

[tex]a^{+}[/tex]

and

[tex]a[/tex]

We suppose that the two piholes provide the only means for photons in the cavity.For pinholes of equal size, the incident photons are equally likely to be registered in mode 1 or 2.

Still I don't know how to prove it.
I will be grateful for help.

Related to Two slit experiment - quantum theory - problem

1. What is the two slit experiment and how does it relate to quantum theory?

The two slit experiment is a thought experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and electrons. It involves shining a beam of particles (such as photons or electrons) through two parallel slits onto a screen, and observing the resulting interference pattern. This experiment relates to quantum theory because it shows that particles can exhibit wave-like behavior, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

2. What is the problem with the two slit experiment in quantum theory?

The problem with the two slit experiment in quantum theory is known as the "measurement problem." This refers to the fact that when we observe the particles in the experiment, they behave like particles, but when we do not observe them, they behave like waves. This raises questions about the role of the observer and the nature of reality in quantum mechanics.

3. How is the two slit experiment used to test the Copenhagen interpretation?

The Copenhagen interpretation is a popular interpretation of quantum mechanics that states that the act of measurement or observation causes the collapse of the wavefunction, determining the state of a particle. The two slit experiment is often used as a thought experiment to test this interpretation, as it demonstrates the role of observation in determining the behavior of particles.

4. Can the two slit experiment be explained by classical physics?

No, the two slit experiment cannot be explained by classical physics. Classical physics describes particles as having definite positions and trajectories, while the two slit experiment shows that particles can behave as waves and have multiple possible paths. This is a violation of classical physics principles and supports the concept of wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics.

5. Why is the two slit experiment important in quantum computing?

The two slit experiment is important in quantum computing because it demonstrates the phenomenon of superposition, where a quantum system can exist in multiple states at the same time. This is a key principle in quantum computing, where quantum bits (qubits) can exist in multiple states simultaneously, allowing for more efficient and powerful computing processes.