Two-site Hubbard model eigenstate-problem

In summary: You want to find the eigenstates of the system, which are just the linear combinations of the xi's. To do this, you need to find the eigenvectors of the system's Hamiltonian. The Hamiltonian is a matrix that describes the system's energy. The eigenvectors are the vectors that have the smallest energy (or, in other words, the ones that make the system go the fastest in its state).
Suske

Homework Statement

L.S.,

I'm breaking my head over this problem! To anyone who can help me out: thanks a lot!

Consider a two-point grid (point a en point b) and two electrons occupying those points, (they can both occupy one point at the same time), both wit spin-up or spin-down. Now, they state that you write the state of the spin-electrons as a product of the state of spin and the state of place: X * Psi (I don't understand why you'd do this and what this means, for starters..)

Now the problem is to show that we talk about 6-dimensional Hilbert space with basis:

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] Xup, up*(Psia, b - Psib, a)

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](Xup, down + Xdown, up)*(Psia, b - Psib, a)

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex](Xdown, down)*(Psia, b - Psib, a)

(spin-triplet)

and

[itex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}[/itex](Xup, down - Xdown, up)*(Psia, a)

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](Xup, down - Xdown, up)*(Psia, b + Psib, a)

[itex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}[/itex](Xup, down - Xdown, up)*(Psib,b)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand it is 6-dimensional, (23 - the two combinations that cannot exist because of the Pauli principal)
Further, I have no clue how to derive this basis!

Would someone please help me with this problem? I thought I understood this chapter well, but now my brains are vaporizing..

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you posted the Hubbard Hamiltonian you are working with. For now I'll assume you are working with

$$\mathcal H = -t \sum_{\langle i, j\rangle, \sigma } (c^\dagger_{i,\sigma}c_{j,\sigma} + h.c) + U\sum_{i=1}^N n_{i\uparrow} n_{i\downarrow}.$$

Suske said:

Homework Statement

L.S.,

I'm breaking my head over this problem! To anyone who can help me out: thanks a lot!

Consider a two-point grid (point a en point b) and two electrons occupying those points, (they can both occupy one point at the same time), both wit spin-up or spin-down. Now, they state that you write the state of the spin-electrons as a product of the state of spin and the state of place: X * Psi (I don't understand why you'd do this and what this means, for starters..)

The state of the electron is labelled by two properties: the electron's spin (up or down) and the electron's position. The wavefunction of the electron can thus be factorized into a wavefunction corresponding to the position and a wavefunction corresponding to the spin.

So, your basic wavefunction for a single electron is ##|i,\sigma\rangle = |i\rangle |\sigma\rangle##, where i labels the position and ##\sigma## labels the spin. Are you familiar with Dirac notation? (the pointy brackets). If not, in your notation, it looks like ##|i\rangle \sim \psi_i##, ##|\sigma\rangle \sim X_\sigma##. The fact that the single electron state factors into a product, ##|i,\sigma\rangle = |i\rangle |\sigma\rangle \sim X_\sigma \psi_i## is just a statement that the 'spin' and 'position' properties of the electron live in different Hilbert spaces - basically, the two properties are entirely separate and aren't entangled in any way.

Since you have two electrons, the total wavefunction encodes both of their spins and positions,

$$|\Psi\rangle = |i_1,\sigma_1;i_2,\sigma_2\rangle$$

These are the 'natural' basis states, corresponding to the positions and spins of each electron. Based on the Pauli exclusion principle, you can figure out how many possible states there are. These 'natural' states are not the eigenstates of the system, however. The "basis" states that your problem wants you to derive are the eigenstates, which are just linear combinations of the 'natural' basis states.

Your question seems to be, how do you derive the eigenstates your problem wants?

Well, do you know how to convert the Hubbard Hamiltonian into matrix form? The eigenstates are just the eigenvectors of that matrix. Do you remember how to find the eigenvectors of a matrix?

First of all, Thanks a lot for your help!

I know understand the product of states. I also am familiar with the Dirac-notation.
I also know how to find the eigenvectors of a matrix (eigenvalues first, then solve for matrix - eigenvalue*I = 0 )

The only thing is that I don't know how to put the Hamiltonian in matrix form! My book doesn't say a lot about it either..
Could you hint/help me? I think I could solve the problem if I'd be able to do that!

Last thing: my problem doesn't state a Hamiltonian.. Is the one you gave me the standard hamiltonian for the Hubbard-model? Or are there more?

Thanks a lot!

Suske said:
First of all, Thanks a lot for your help!

I know understand the product of states. I also am familiar with the Dirac-notation.
I also know how to find the eigenvectors of a matrix (eigenvalues first, then solve for matrix - eigenvalue*I = 0 )

The only thing is that I don't know how to put the Hamiltonian in matrix form! My book doesn't say a lot about it either..
Could you hint/help me? I think I could solve the problem if I'd be able to do that!

Last thing: my problem doesn't state a Hamiltonian.. Is the one you gave me the standard hamiltonian for the Hubbard-model? Or are there more?

Thanks a lot!

Suppose you have a set of states ##|e_j\rangle##, where you've chosen some ordering of the states corresponding to j=0,1,2,... . To write the Hamiltonian in matrix form in this basis, you simply compute ##\mathcal\langle e_i| \mathcal H |e_j \rangle##; this will be the ##i,j##th element of your matrix.

For example, suppose ##\mathcal H = \sigma_+## and you want to write this in the basis ##|\pm z\rangle##. So, let's order the states by ##|e_0 \rangle = |+z\rangle##, ##|e_1\rangle = |-z\rangle##. Then, ##\mathcal H_{00} = \langle +z| \sigma_+ |+z\rangle = 0##, ##\mathcal H_{01} = \langle +z| \sigma_+ |-z\rangle = \langle +z|+z\rangle =1##, ##\mathcal H_{10} = \langle -z| \sigma_+ |+z\rangle = 0## and ##\mathcal H_{11} = \langle -z| \sigma_+ |-z\rangle = \langle -z|+z\rangle = 0##. So, the matrix representation of ##\mathcal H## is just

$$\mathcal H = \left(\begin{array}{c c}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{array}\right).$$

If your problem doesn't state the Hamiltonian, is it listed somewhere else in the book? The hamiltonian I wrote is from the wikipedia article, but the problem might use specific parameter choices or variations of the Hamiltonian - for example, the problem could take U = 0, t = 1.

In the absence of a Hamiltonian, perhaps all the problem wants you to do is explain why the eigenspace is six-dimensional (which you already did) and double-check that the basis it gives you is orthonormal.

Otherwise, maybe try the Hubbard model Hamiltonian I wrote down with t = U = 1? It will be a learning exercise, at the very least. =P

Dear L.S.,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this problem. It seems like you are working on the eigenstate-problem for the two-site Hubbard model. This is a complex problem and it is understandable that you are struggling with it. Let me try to provide some insights that may help you understand the problem better.

Firstly, the two-site grid with two electrons can be represented by a 6-dimensional Hilbert space, as you correctly mentioned. This means that there are 6 possible states that the system can be in. These states are represented by the basis vectors that you have listed in your question. Each vector represents a unique combination of spin and position for the two electrons.

Now, the reason for writing the state of the spin-electrons as a product of the state of spin and the state of place is because it allows us to better understand the system. The state of spin describes the spin orientation of the electrons, while the state of place describes their position on the grid. By multiplying these two states, we get a more complete description of the system.

To derive the basis vectors, you can use the creation and annihilation operators for spin-up and spin-down electrons. These operators allow us to create and destroy electrons on the grid, while also taking into account their spin orientation. By using these operators, you can construct the basis vectors that you have listed.

I hope this helps you in understanding the problem better. Don't get discouraged if it takes some time to fully grasp it, as it is a complex problem. Keep working on it and don't hesitate to ask for help if needed.

Best of luck with your studies!

Sincerely,

Related to Two-site Hubbard model eigenstate-problem

1. What is the Two-site Hubbard Model?

The Two-site Hubbard Model is a simplified mathematical model used in condensed matter physics to study the behavior of electrons in a two-site lattice. It is based on the Hubbard model, which describes the interactions between electrons in a lattice, and is often used to understand the properties of strongly correlated materials.

2. What is the Eigenstate-Problem in the Two-site Hubbard Model?

The Eigenstate-Problem in the Two-site Hubbard Model refers to the challenge of finding the stationary states (or eigenstates) of the system, which represent the possible energy levels that electrons can occupy. These states are important for understanding the electronic properties of materials and can be calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation.

3. How is the Two-site Hubbard Model solved?

The Two-site Hubbard Model can be solved using various numerical and analytical methods, such as exact diagonalization, mean-field theory, and density-matrix renormalization group. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem being studied.

4. What is the significance of the Two-site Hubbard Model in condensed matter physics?

The Two-site Hubbard Model is a simple yet powerful model that helps us understand the electronic properties of materials, particularly those with strong electron-electron interactions. It has been used to study a wide range of phenomena, such as metal-insulator transitions, superconductivity, and magnetism, and has provided valuable insights into the behavior of correlated electron systems.

5. What are some current research topics related to the Two-site Hubbard Model?

Some current research topics related to the Two-site Hubbard Model include the study of unconventional superconductivity, the effects of disorder and dimensionality on electronic properties, and the exploration of new numerical methods for solving the model. There is also ongoing research on how the model can be extended to include more realistic conditions, such as non-zero temperatures and different lattice geometries.