Two Rotational Motion Questions

In summary, the first problem involves finding the average angular acceleration of a CD that is spinning at a constant linear speed of 1.25 m/s. The second problem involves finding the time it takes for a grinding wheel to stop spinning after experiencing a constant angular acceleration. Both problems use formulas for angular velocity and acceleration to find the desired values.
ccsmarty
The first one:

Homework Statement

1) A compact disc (CD) stores music in a coded pattern of tiny pits 10^-7 m deep. The pits are arranged in a track that spirals outward toward the rim of the disc; the inner and outer radii of this spiral are 25.0 mm and 58.0 mm , respectively. As the disc spins inside a CD player, the track is scanned at a constant linear speed of 1.25 m/s. What is the average angular acceleration of a maximum-duration CD during its 74.0-min playing time? Take the direction of rotation of the disc to be positive.

Homework Equations

alpha_avg = (omega_2 - omega_1) / (t2 - t1)
omega_inner = 50.0 rad/s
omega_outer = 21.6 rad/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take the average of the inner and outer angular velocities, and put that in for omega_2, and find the average that way, but I don't think I can do that.

The second one:

Homework Statement

2) At t = 0 a grinding wheel has an angular velocity of 27.0 rad/s. It has a constant angular acceleration of 26.0 rad/s^2 until a circuit breaker trips at time t = 2.00 s. From then on, it turns through an angle 433 rad as it coasts to a stop at constant angular acceleration. At what time did it stop?

Homework Equations

omega_2 = omega_1 + alpha * t
delta_2 - delta_1 = omega_1 * t + 0.5 * alpha * t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using a system of equations using the two equations above to solve for t, but I can't seem to get the right t value.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated on either problem. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem, your omega_inner and omega_outer look good to me. Why not just take (omega_outer - omega_inner)/(74*60)... that should be the answer.

For the second problem, think of the angular velocity and acceleration, just like kinematics formulas...

What is the angular velocity at t = 2?

Then you can use the equation,

angle traversed = [(omega_1 + omega_2)/2]*t, so solve for how long it takes to go through the 433 rad...

Ok, thanks so much for your help. It makes more sense this way, than the way I initially tried to tackle the problems.
Thanks again :)

Related to Two Rotational Motion Questions

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point, where all points on the object move in circular paths around the axis. This type of motion is commonly observed in objects such as wheels, planets, and spinning tops.

2. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis. It is defined as the change in angular displacement over time and is typically measured in radians per second.

3. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the time it took to make that change. It is measured in radians per second squared.

4. What is the difference between linear and angular motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line, while angular motion is the movement of an object around an axis. Linear motion is described using distance and displacement, while angular motion is described using angle and angular displacement.

5. How does rotational inertia affect an object's motion?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is the measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. Objects with a larger rotational inertia will be more difficult to rotate, while objects with a smaller rotational inertia will be easier to rotate. This can affect an object's speed and stability in rotational motion.