Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Two questions, one on harmonic functions

nacho

Sep 10, 2013
Could I get some hints on how to evaluate these question.
The question asking to find where $f(re^{i\theta})$ is differentiable doesn't seem to involved,
however would I use C-R equations, or would it just be for wherever $r \neq 0$. Although that is given in the domain, so I'm assuming they want us to use C-R equations.
If i were to use C-R equations, then I would have to convert to cartesian coordinates, correct?
How would I do that.

As for the second question,
could I get any hints on what theorems may be relevant. I am not sure how to approach this.

Thanks

Attachments

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
In the first question you are asked to find the domain of differentiability of the function

\(\displaystyle f(z)=\log(z^2) \)

Hint : choose a suitable branch cut .

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
The question asking to find where $f(re^{i\theta})$ is differentiable doesn't seem to involved,
however would I use C-R equations, or would it just be for wherever $r \neq 0$. Although that is given in the domain, so I'm assuming they want us to use C-R equations.
If i were to use C-R equations, then I would have to convert to cartesian coordinates, correct?
How would I do that.

could I get any hints on what theorems may be relevant. I am not sure how to approach this.

Thanks
Question 1: with a little of patience You can derive the C-R equations in polar coordinates...

$\displaystyle \frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}} = \frac{1}{r}\ \frac {\partial {v}}{\partial{\theta}} $

$\displaystyle \frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{r}} = - \frac{1}{r}\ \frac {\partial {u}}{\partial{\theta}} \ (1)$

Here $\displaystyle u(r, \theta) = \ln r^{2}$ and $v(r, \theta) = 2\ \theta$, so that is...

$\displaystyle \frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}} = \frac{2}{r},\ \frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{\theta}} = 0,\ \frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{r}} = 0,\ \frac{\partial{v}}{\partial{\theta}} = 2$ so that the (1) are satisfied everywhere with the only exception of the point r = 0...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
How would I do that.

Thanks
Question 2: a function u(x,y) is said to be harmonic if its second derivatives are continous and is...

$\displaystyle u_{xx} = - u_{yy}\ (1)$

An important theorem extablishes that if u is harmonic in a simply connected domain G, then it exist a function v(x,y) so that f(x + i y) = u(x,y) + i v(x,y) is analytic in G [v is said to be the harmonic coniugate of u...].

If we suppose that G is a disk centered in w with radious r and call $\gamma$ its contour, the the Cauchy Integral Formula extablishes that...

$\displaystyle f(w) = \frac{1}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma} \frac{f (z)}{z - w}\ d z\ (2)$

With the substitution $z - w = r\ e^{i\ \theta}$ the (2) becomes...

$\displaystyle f(w) = \frac{1}{2\ \pi}\ \int_{0}^{2\ \pi} f(w + r\ e^{i\ \theta})\ d \theta\ (3)$

... and, taking the real part of f we have...

$\displaystyle u(w) = \frac{1}{2\ \pi}\ \int_{0}^{2\ \pi} u (w + r\ e^{i\ \theta})\ d \theta\ (4)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$