Two questions on the Stress-Energy Tensor

In summary: The usual convention in relativity is to have a metric with signature (-,+,+,+) which would give a positive value for the trace. However, other conventions exist, so it's important to be consistent. So in summary, the stress-energy tensor for a perfect fluid can be written in terms of the rest-mass density and pressure, and the trace of the tensor depends on the metric convention.
zenmaster99
I am trying to get a good feel for the Stress-Energy tensor, but I seem to be hung up on a few concepts and I was wondering if anyone could clear up the issues.

First, when I look at the derivation of the Stress-Energy tensor for a perfect fluid (of one species, say), the 00 entry can be written as a sum over each "particle" in the fluid:
$$T^{00}=\sum_kmu_k^0u_k^0=m\sum_k\gamma_k^2=m\sum_k\left(1+{v_k^2\over1-v_k^2}\right)=m\sum_k\left(1+\gamma_k^2v_{k,x}^2+\gamma_k^2v_{k,y}^2+\gamma_k^2v_{k,z}^2\right)$$
$$=\sum_km+\sum_kmu_k^1u_k^1+\sum_kmu_k^2u_k^2+\sum_kmu_k^3u_k^3$$
In the rest frame of the bulk, I can divide by a small 3-volume element and, assuming things are isotropic, I find
$$T^{00}=\rho_0+3P$$
where ##\rho_0## is the rest-mass density and ##P## is the pressure. Is this correct? If so, is it useful? Clearly, I can't use this for photons.

My second question involves the Lorentz scalar ##{T^\alpha}_\alpha##. Setting ##T^{00}\equiv\rho##, when I actually find this using ##T^{\alpha\nu}\eta_{\nu\alpha}##, I get ##-\rho+3P## instead of ##+\rho+3P##. What am I doing wrong?

I ask this because I'm guessing that this scalar ##T## must be a useful quantity, but I don't know what, exactly. It's implicated in the Trace Energy Condition... but if I'm getting a negative value for a dust (##P=0##), then I can't possibly satisfy ##T\ge0##.

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated. Much thanks in advance.

ZM

Physics news on Phys.org
zenmaster99 said:
Clearly, I can't use this for photons.
For a photon gas, ##T^{00}=3p## in the rest frame, so the expression has the correct limiting behaviour.

The sign in the trace condition depends on your metric convention.

Related to Two questions on the Stress-Energy Tensor

1. What is the Stress-Energy Tensor?

The Stress-Energy Tensor is a mathematical object used in the theory of general relativity to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in spacetime. It is a 4x4 matrix that contains 10 components, representing different types of energy and momentum, such as mass, pressure, and shear stress.

2. How is the Stress-Energy Tensor calculated?

The Stress-Energy Tensor is calculated by taking the energy-momentum density of matter, adding in the contributions from electromagnetic fields, and applying the Einstein field equations. This results in a set of equations that describe how matter and energy interact with the curvature of spacetime.

3. What is the significance of the Stress-Energy Tensor in general relativity?

The Stress-Energy Tensor is crucial in general relativity because it represents the source of gravity. It tells us how matter and energy are distributed in spacetime, and how they affect the curvature of spacetime. This, in turn, determines the motion of objects and the shape of the universe.

4. How does the Stress-Energy Tensor relate to the concept of stress and strain?

The Stress-Energy Tensor is a generalization of the concept of stress and strain from classical mechanics. In classical mechanics, stress and strain are used to describe how an object deforms under the influence of external forces. In general relativity, the Stress-Energy Tensor describes how the curvature of spacetime is affected by the presence of matter and energy.

5. Can the Stress-Energy Tensor be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the Stress-Energy Tensor is a fundamental tool in the field of general relativity, which has many practical applications. For example, it is used in the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and the large-scale structure of the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as GPS, which rely on accurate predictions of the curvature of spacetime.