Two questions on retrieving thermodynamic properties

In summary: If you have steam tables, you know the final temperature and the final specific volume. That should be enough to determine the change in internal energy. The tank was insulated, so no heat was transferred.
princejan7

Homework Statement

''A rigid insulated container fitted with a paddle wheel contains 5lb of water, initially at 260F and a quality of 60%. The water is stirred until the temperature is 350F. For the water, determine the work.''

How do we know whether the state of the water at 350F is still saturated water or superheated vapor ?

"Water, contained in a closed rigid tank initially at 100lbf/in^2, 800F is cooled to a final state where the pressure is 20lbf/in^2. Determine the change in specific entropy."

likewise for this question, how do I know if the water is still superheated vapor or not at the final state?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
princejan7 said:

Homework Statement

''A rigid insulated container fitted with a paddle wheel contains 5lb of water, initially at 260F and a quality of 60%. The water is stirred until the temperature is 350F. For the water, determine the work.''

How do we know whether the state of the water at 350F is still saturated water or superheated vapor ?

"Water, contained in a closed rigid tank initially at 100lbf/in^2, 800F is cooled to a final state where the pressure is 20lbf/in^2. Determine the change in specific entropy."

likewise for this question, how do I know if the water is still superheated vapor or not at the final state?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You can determine the specific volume of the water in the initial state of each of these problems. The chambers are rigid, so the specific volume (even averaged over two phases if two phases are present at the end) does not change.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You can determine the specific volume of the water in the initial state of each of these problems. The chambers are rigid, so the specific volume (even averaged over two phases if two phases are present at the end) does not change.

Chet

thanks

for the second question I found the specific volume at the initial state to be 7.07
using this, I find that the final state is a super heated vapor

But the super heated vapor table gives data by pressure and I don't have any value for the pressure at the final state

princejan7 said:
thanks

for the second question I found the specific volume at the initial state to be 7.07
using this, I find that the final state is a super heated vapor

But the super heated vapor table gives data by pressure and I don't have any value for the pressure at the final state
The problem statement says that the final pressure is 20 psi.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The problem statement says that the final pressure is 20 psi.

Chet

oh sorry, that post was meant for the first question. Only the temperature at the final state is given

princejan7 said:
oh sorry, that post was meant for the first question. Only the temperature at the final state is given
If you have steam tables, you know the final temperature and the final specific volume. That should be enough to determine the change in internal energy. The tank was insulated, so no heat was transferred.

Chet

Likes 1 person

Related to Two questions on retrieving thermodynamic properties

1. What are thermodynamic properties?

Thermodynamic properties refer to the physical characteristics of a system or substance that describe its thermodynamic state, such as temperature, pressure, volume, and energy. These properties are used to analyze and predict the behavior of a system under various conditions.

2. Why is it important to retrieve thermodynamic properties?

Retrieving thermodynamic properties is important in many scientific and engineering applications. These properties are necessary for understanding the behavior of materials and substances, designing and optimizing processes, and predicting the performance of systems.

3. How can I retrieve thermodynamic properties?

There are several methods for retrieving thermodynamic properties, including experimental measurements, theoretical calculations, and computer simulations. The choice of method depends on the specific properties and conditions of the system being studied.

4. What are the most commonly used thermodynamic properties?

Some of the most commonly used thermodynamic properties include enthalpy, entropy, and Gibbs free energy. These properties are particularly useful for analyzing chemical reactions and phase changes.

5. How accurate are retrieved thermodynamic properties?

The accuracy of retrieved thermodynamic properties depends on the quality and reliability of the data and methods used. In general, experimental measurements tend to be more accurate than theoretical calculations or computer simulations, but these methods can also be improved and refined over time.