Running 10mph Inside a Train Moving 40mph: Was I Right?

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary, the person inside the train is running at 10mph and the overall system is traveling at 40mph. To an outside observer, the person appears to be running at 50mph. When the person runs in the opposite direction, the overall system is still moving at 40mph, but the person appears to be running at 30mph to an outside observer. It is important to specify the frame of reference when discussing velocities.
jimmy p
Gold Member
My friend was in a ponderous mood and asked me the following question:

If a train is traveling at 40mph and you are inside the train and running 10mph in the same direction as the train is travelling, what speed are you moving at?

The answer i gave him was that

1/ The overall system is traveling at 40mph
2/ You are running at 10mph inside the train
3/ To an outside observer you appear to be running at 50mph

Was i right in my assumptions?

Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. The critical point is that you have to define your "frame of reference" before you can give a velocity.

All of the following are correct:

The person is running at 10 mph to an observer sitting on a seat on the train.

The person is running at 50 mph to an observer sitting still beside the railroad track.

The person is running at 0 mph to an observer who is running along with him.

- Warren

Ok that's cool then, glad i was right for once

If the train were to travel at 40mph and you were inside the train running 10mph in the opposite direction, what would observers view?

Am i right in assuming that again,

1/ The system is moving at +40mph
2/ You are running at -10mph to an inside observer
3/ To an outside observer you are facing the wrong way traveling at +30mph

Thanx
[?]

That is also correct. In general, you'll make your life easier if you never refer to velocities without mentioning the reference to which those velocities are measured.

Instead of saying

The system is moving at +40mph

Say

The system is moving at +40mph to an observer at rest on the ground.

- Warren

Yeah thanks i was just thinking simple terms, my friend isn't the sciency type so its best not to confuse him!

1. How does running 10mph inside a train moving 40mph affect my speed?

Running 10mph inside a train moving 40mph will not affect your speed. This is because your speed is relative to the train, so you will still be running at 10mph relative to the train's speed.

2. Will running 10mph inside a train moving 40mph make me run faster?

No, running 10mph inside a train moving 40mph will not make you run faster. Your speed is determined by your own movement and is not affected by the train's speed.

3. Is it more difficult to run 10mph inside a train moving 40mph compared to running on solid ground?

Yes, it is more difficult to run 10mph inside a train moving 40mph compared to running on solid ground. This is because the train is constantly moving, causing you to constantly adjust your balance and use more energy to maintain your speed.

4. If I am running 10mph inside a train moving 40mph, will my distance covered be different compared to running on solid ground?

No, your distance covered will be the same whether you are running 10mph inside a train moving 40mph or on solid ground. This is because your speed and distance are relative to the train's movement, so the distance you cover will be the same as if you were running on solid ground.

5. Can I run 10mph inside a train moving 40mph and still maintain my balance?

Yes, you can run 10mph inside a train moving 40mph and still maintain your balance. However, it may require more effort and focus due to the train's movement and may be more difficult compared to running on solid ground.