Two pendulums banging into each other problem.

• Thread starter tjhero123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two metal balls hanging from strings of length 1.0 m. Pendulum A has a mass of 2.0 kg and B has a period of 2.0s. They are released from the same height and collide in the middle of their arcs. If A stops and B moves backwards with half its original speed, the mass of B is being sought. The conversation also mentions using the conservation of momentum and the equation for the period of a pendulum to find the velocity of B. However, it is noted that the time and original height are unknown, making it impossible to deduce the actual velocity. The suggestion is to use the equation for the period of a pendulum
tjhero123

Homework Statement

A system contains two metal balls hanging from strings of length !.0 m. Pendulum A has a mass of 2.0 kg and B has a period of 2.0s. They are released from the same height at the same time and collide right in the middle of their arcs. If pendulum A comes to a complete stop while B moves backwords with half of its original speed, what is the mass of pendulum B?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was the conservation of momentum. 2Va+MbVb=-(1/2)MbVb. Of course there's 3 variables so i couldn't solve it but then i thought that since the balls were colliding in the middle of their arcs that maybe they're velocities were the same. So Va=Vb. From that logic I get that the mass of B is -4/3 which obviously makes no sense... I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am gratful for any help. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
tjhero123 said:

Homework Statement

A system contains two metal balls hanging from strings of length !.0 m. Pendulum A has a mass of 2.0 kg and B has a period of 2.0s. They are released from the same height at the same time and collide right in the middle of their arcs. If pendulum A comes to a complete stop while B moves backwords with half of its original speed, what is the mass of pendulum B?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was the conservation of momentum. 2Va+MbVb=-(1/2)MbVb. Of course there's 3 variables so i couldn't solve it but then i thought that since the balls were colliding in the middle of their arcs that maybe they're velocities were the same. So Va=Vb. From that logic I get that the mass of B is -4/3 which obviously makes no sense... I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am gratful for any help. Thanks in advance

The momentum is a vector. The balls move in opposite directions just before they collide. Va is not equal to Vb.

ehild

Use the equation for the period of a pendulum to help you find Vb.

tannerbk said:
Use the equation for the period of a pendulum to help you find Vb.
The time taken is irrelevant. You cannot deduce any actual velocity since you do not know the original height. ehild's hint is the way forward.

You are on the right track by using the conservation of momentum equation, but there are a few things that need to be clarified.

First, the equation should be written as MaVa + MbVb = (Ma+Mb)Vf, where Ma and Mb are the masses of pendulums A and B respectively, Va and Vb are their initial velocities, and Vf is their final velocity after the collision.

Second, in your attempt at a solution, you have used the same variable (Vb) for both the initial and final velocities of pendulum B. This is incorrect as the final velocity of pendulum B would be different from its initial velocity after the collision.

Third, the negative sign in front of (1/2)MbVb should be positive, as the final velocity would be in the opposite direction from the initial velocity.

With these corrections, the equation should look like this:

2kg(0m/s) + Mb(2m/s) = (2kg+Mb)(1m/s)

Solving for Mb, we get Mb = 4kg.

This means that pendulum B has a mass of 4kg.

In summary, the mass of pendulum B is 4kg.

Related to Two pendulums banging into each other problem.

1. What is the "Two Pendulums Banging into Each Other" Problem?

The "Two Pendulums Banging into Each Other" problem is a classic physics problem where two pendulums of different lengths are attached to a common pivot point and allowed to swing freely. The objective is to determine the motion of the pendulums when they collide with each other.

2. What factors affect the motion of the pendulums in this problem?

The motion of the pendulums in this problem is affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulums, their masses, the initial angle at which they are released, and the elasticity of the collision between them.

3. How do you solve the "Two Pendulums Banging into Each Other" problem?

The problem is typically solved using principles of conservation of energy and momentum. The equations for the conservation of energy and momentum are applied to the system at the point of collision to determine the final velocities and angles of the pendulums.

4. Are there any real-world applications for this problem?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for this problem. One example is in the study of billiards, where the collision between two balls can be modeled using similar principles as the "Two Pendulums Banging into Each Other" problem.

5. How does the elasticity of the collision affect the motion of the pendulums?

The elasticity of the collision between the pendulums affects the amount of energy that is transferred between them. In a perfectly elastic collision, there is no loss of energy and the pendulums will continue to swing with the same amplitude after the collision. In a perfectly inelastic collision, the pendulums will stick together and swing as one. The motion of the pendulums in this problem is affected by the elasticity of the collision between them.