Two Particles Collide - Momentum and Energy

In summary, the collision of two 3.000u objects resulted in the 6.000u object moving to the right with a change in kinetic energy of 3.873u.
TristanJones

Homework Statement

Q: A 3.000u object moving to the right through a laboratory at 0.8c collides with a 4.000u object to the left of the laboratory at 0.6c. Afterward, there are two objects, one of which is a 6.000u mass at rest.
A) what are the mass and speed of the other object?
B) determine the change in kinetic energy in the collision

Homework Equations

γ1m1v1 + γ2m2v2 = γ3m3v3+γ4m4v4
γ1m1c2+γ2m2c2 = γ3m3c2+m4c2

3.= The attempt at a solution
I've been struggling with this for a while, and haven't really made much headway. The part I'm finding difficulty with is using both conservation of momentum and conservation of energy formulas when I need to consider that the third particle technically isn't moving. I don't necessarily want the answers handed to me - just a few tips to get me headed in that direction would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try working with momenta and energies instead of velocities.

do you mean eliminating the v as a variable? i used the conservation of energy and momentum formulas, but there's just something not quite working. i end up with more unknowns than i know what to do with

TristanJones said:
do you mean eliminating the v as a variable? i used the conservation of energy and momentum formulas, but there's just something not quite working. i end up with more unknowns than i know what to do with

Aren't the unknowns in your equations the gamma3 and the m3 (for 2 equations this is solvable)?

and whatever V3 would be in the momentum equation (unless I'm not supposed to use the momentum equation)

TristanJones said:
and whatever V3 would be in the momentum equation (unless I'm not supposed to use the momentum equation)

The v3 and gamma3 are the "same" unknown... aren't they?

gahhh, you're right. i think my issue was dealing with the one particle which was at rest (and has no momentum). i'll play around with it a bit

TristanJones said:

Try using ##E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4##

These problems never work out if you try to solve for ##v## and ##\gamma##!

Likes vela
PeroK said:
These problems never work out if you try to solve for vvv and γγ\gamma!
Well they do, it's just a very rough way to do things... Either way you have to apply the conservation of energy/momentum at some point (in one way or another).

But the expression for the momentum conservation is not quiet right...(except for if vi are vectors)

TristanJones said:

Homework Statement

Q: A 3.000u object moving to the right through a laboratory at 0.8c collides with a 4.000u object to the left of the laboratory at 0.6c. Afterward, there are two objects, one of which is a 6.000u mass at rest.
A) what are the mass and speed of the other object?
B) determine the change in kinetic energy in the collision

Homework Equations

γ1m1v1 + γ2m2v2 = γ3m3v3+γ4m4v4
γ1m1c2+γ2m2c2 = γ3m3c2+m4c2

3.= The attempt at a solution
I've been struggling with this for a while, and haven't really made much headway. The part I'm finding difficulty with is using both conservation of momentum and conservation of energy formulas when I need to consider that the third particle technically isn't moving. I don't necessarily want the answers handed to me - just a few tips to get me headed in that direction would be much appreciated.

If Particle 4 is the one at rest after the collision we have
[tex] \begin{array}{rcrcrc}
\gamma_1 m_1 v_1 &+& \gamma_2 m_2 v_2 &=& \gamma_3 m_3 v_3 &+ &0 \\
\gamma_1 m_1 &+& \gamma_2 m_2 &=& \gamma_3 m_3 &+& m_4
\end{array}
[/tex]
In the second equation we dropped the common factor ##c^2## from all terms on both sides.
From the known quantities, the equations allow us to find ##\gamma_3 m_3## and ##\gamma_3 m_3 v_3##; so we can get ##v_3## by taking a ratio of known quantities. Once we know ##v_3## we are almost done.

Likes TristanJones
@Ray Vickson - ok, so for the momentum I got
γ3m3v3= 1uC
for energy I got: γ3m3= 4u
so I divide the first one by the second to get v3= 0.25c (?)

ok, then I used that, calculated gamma, and inserted back into the momentum equation to solve for m3 and got 3.873 u. should be good to go. thanks!

TristanJones said:
ok, then I used that, calculated gamma, and inserted back into the momentum equation to solve for m3 and got 3.873 u. should be good to go. thanks!

seems legit...

unless you got something entirely different and I am to to lunch, hehe

TristanJones said:
unless you got something entirely different and I am to to lunch, hehe

Yes I got something totally different because I omitted the m4, as if it was not there...
As for the questionmark for the v3, it's true that [itex]\frac{p}{E}= v[/itex] for massive particles, and it's also the same for massless particles too...

there are no massless particles in this equation though ... sorry, I'm just not entirely sure if you're agreeing with my end result, or implying I should make changes

TristanJones said:
there are no massless particles in this equation though ..
nah, I just made a general statement for your questionmarked phrase "so I divide the first one by the second to get v3= 0.25c (?)"
That p/E happens to be always equal to the velocity.

TristanJones said:
I'm just not entirely sure if you're agreeing with my end result
it seems I agree...

Likes TristanJones
welp, cheers!

Related to Two Particles Collide - Momentum and Energy

1. What is momentum and how is it conserved in a collision?

Momentum is a measure of the motion of an object, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In a collision between two particles, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

2. How does the kinetic energy change in a collision?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In a collision, some of the kinetic energy of the particles may be transferred to other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. However, the total amount of kinetic energy in the system before and after the collision remains the same, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where both the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system are conserved. In an elastic collision, the particles bounce off each other without any loss of energy. This type of collision is rare in real-world scenarios, but can be observed in idealized systems.

4. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the total momentum of the system is conserved, but the total kinetic energy is not. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. This type of collision is more common in real-world scenarios.

5. How do the masses and velocities of the particles affect the outcome of a collision?

The masses and velocities of the particles involved in a collision play a significant role in determining the outcome of the collision. In general, the greater the difference in mass and velocity between the particles, the greater the change in momentum and energy during the collision. Additionally, the angle at which the particles collide can also affect the outcome of the collision.