Two Partial Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation is discussing the first problem of a homework assignment involving separation of variables. The equations used are T'(t)= -λKT(t) and X''(x)+(β/K)X'(x)/X(x)= -λ. The individual is unsure if they are on the right track in solving for the function X(x), specifically in regards to the characteristic equation. The other person suggests using 2 instead of λ in the equation and solving for r. The solution for X(x) will have the form C1Exp(rx)+C2Exp(-rx) or possibly D1sin(r'x)+D2cos(r'x) depending on the values of β, k, and λ.
Kidphysics

Homework Statement

This is the first problem of the two.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using separation of variables, I end up with

T'(t)= -λKT(t) and X''(x)+(β/K)X'(x)/X(x)= -λ. At first I chose the negative lambda because I saw that U(0,t) and U(L,t) needed to oscillate and I was hoping to get a sin function. Now the characteristic equation for X is something like r^2 + (β/K)r +λ=0 and I am not sure if I am on the right track in solving for the function X(x).

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    6 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right path, but it helps to use 2 instead of λ.

thanks. I guess what I should have said is that I am stuck at this point.

Solve the characteristic equation for r. The solution has the form C1Exp(rx)+C2Exp(-rx).
This might become D1sin(r'x)+D2cos(r'x) depending on the sizes of β, k, and λ.
Edit:If r was imaginary, r' is a new constant that is real.

As a scientist, my response to this content would be to carefully review the steps taken to reach this solution and make sure that the separation of variables method was applied correctly. I would also suggest checking the boundary conditions and verifying that the chosen lambda value is appropriate for the problem. Additionally, I would recommend considering alternative methods for solving the partial differential equations, such as using Green's functions or numerical methods. It is important to thoroughly understand and validate any solutions in order to confidently apply them to real-world problems.

Related to Two Partial Differential Equations

What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It describes how a quantity, such as temperature or pressure, changes with respect to these variables and their rates of change.

What is the difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation?

The main difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation (ODE) is that a PDE involves multiple independent variables, while an ODE involves only one independent variable. In other words, a PDE describes how a quantity changes in multiple dimensions, while an ODE describes how a quantity changes along a single variable.

What are some applications of partial differential equations?

Partial differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, finance, and biology. They are used to model physical systems, such as fluid dynamics and heat transfer, and to solve problems involving multiple variables and their rates of change.

What are the types of partial differential equations?

There are several types of PDEs, including elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic equations. Elliptic equations involve steady-state problems, parabolic equations involve time-dependent problems, and hyperbolic equations involve wave-like problems. The type of PDE depends on the relationship between the independent variables and their rates of change.

What are some methods for solving partial differential equations?

There are various analytical and numerical methods for solving PDEs, such as separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and finite difference methods. The choice of method depends on the type and complexity of the PDE and the desired level of accuracy in the solution.