Two MC Special Relativity Questions

In summary, the events described in the conversation occur simultaneously, but at a different time than according to your clock. However, this answer is not entirely accurate and should be further explored. Additionally, Special Relativity has been extremely accurately and rigorously tested for over 100 years, but some aspects have been rather well tested.
shmijda

Homework Statement

You observe two events to occur simultaneously. A friend is moving with respect to you. The friend will see

:
The event the friend is moving towards occurs first, in their perspective

The order of the events is random and cannot be predicted

The events occur simultaneously, but at a different time than according to your clock

The events occur simultaneously according to all observers

How well tested is Special Relativity?:
It is complete speculation

It has recently failed some very significant tests

It has been extremely accurately and rigorously tested for over 100 years

Some aspects have been rather well tested

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1, I think the answer is "The event the friend is moving towards occurs first, in their perspective"
For 2, I think the answer is "Some aspects have been rather well tested"

Physics news on Phys.org
shmijda said:
For 1, I think the answer is "The event the friend is moving towards occurs first, in their perspective"
So, suppose they are moving well below c and the event they are moving away from is 10 feet behind them and the one they are moving towards is 10 miles ahead of them [the events are about 5 miles away from you, in different directions]. Do you think that answer holds?

For 2, I think the answer is "Some aspects have been rather well tested"
PHENOMENALLY well tested would be more accurate.

Oh ok , so for 1 , I am thinking "The events occur simultaneously, but at a different time than according to your clock" since the friend is moving

Oh also, for 2, then the answer is more accurately , "It has been extremely accurately and rigorously tested for over 100 years"?

shmijda said:
Oh ok , so for 1 , I am thinking "The events occur simultaneously, but at a different time than according to your clock" since the friend is moving
So, you are saying that your friend will see an event one mile behind him and one 10 miles in front of him as simultaneous and you will see the same events, each 5 miles from you, also as simultaneous but at a different time?

I am getting the impression that you have not yet figured out that in science in general the answers to such questions often need to be explored by thinking about various scenarios that are permitted by the problem statement.

If the friend is moving under c ? It seems like the only possible answer since the order of events in not random as the problem states they are simultaneous. Or are you saying that the events are random?

shmijda said:
If the friend is moving under c ? It seems like the only possible answer since the order of events in not random as the problem states they are simultaneous. Or are you saying that the events are random?
I am saying that I do not think any of the answers are correct. The "random" answer sort of gets close to it but is not at all correct as stated. It should be clear that none of the other answers can possibly be correct, except for a particular set of exact conditions that allows "simultaneous" to be correct, but that would not be acceptable as a general answer.

phinds said:
I am saying that I do not think any of the answers are correct. The "random" answer sort of gets close to it but is not at all correct as stated. It should be clear that none of the other answers can possibly be correct, except for a particular set of exact conditions that allows "simultaneous" to be correct, but that would not be acceptable as a general answer.
Ahh I see I agree, I guess I'll just choose an answer thank you!

Related to Two MC Special Relativity Questions

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects behave at high speeds, close to the speed of light.

2. How is special relativity different from general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the behavior of objects in constant, uniform motion, while general relativity takes into account the effects of gravity.

3. What is the concept of time dilation in special relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds. This is a result of the speed of light being constant for all observers.

4. Can special relativity explain the twin paradox?

Yes, special relativity can explain the twin paradox, where one twin ages slower than the other due to differences in their speeds and frames of reference.

5. How has special relativity been tested and proven?

Special relativity has been tested and proven through numerous experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment and the observation of time dilation in particle accelerators.