Two masses, frictionless pulley

In summary: Then you can use the equations of motion to find the maximum height.In summary, two masses connected by a light string are shown in a figure. The 8.7-kg mass m1 is released and falls through a vertical distance of 1.09 m before hitting the ground. Using conservation of mechanical energy, the speed of the 3.9-kg mass m2 just before the 8.7-kg mass hits the ground can be determined. The maximum height attained by the 3.9-kg mass can also be found by using the initial velocity from part (a) and the equations of motion.
cassienoelle

Homework Statement

Two masses are connected by a light string that goes over a light, frictionless pulley, as shown in the figure. The 8.7-kg mass m1 is released and falls through a vertical distance of h = 1.09 m before hitting the ground. Use conservation of mechanical energy to determine:
*picture attached*

a) how fast the 3.9-kg mass m2 is moving just before the 8.7-kg mass hits the ground; and
b) the maximum height attained by the 3.9-kg mass.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 84b257235efec188243b3de648ddec440256f024bc927fa5d01e0d019a4d3abcaf0c2311e181d84806bf7496ccf632d3.png
    84b257235efec188243b3de648ddec440256f024bc927fa5d01e0d019a4d3abcaf0c2311e181d84806bf7496ccf632d3.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 1,217
Physics news on Phys.org
So what exactly are you having trouble with? If you haven't tried to solve the problem or you don't tell us where you're stuck, you won't get much help.

What are the relevant equations for conservation of energy problems?

i'm stuck. period.
i have NO idea where to even start.

Okay so:
MEi = MEf
m1=8.7 hi=1.09 hf = 0
m2 = 3.9 hi = 0 hf = ?
KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf
1/2mv^2 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + mgh
(1/2)(m??1 or 2??) V^2 + m?g0 = 1/2 m? 0 + mgh

cassienoelle said:
Okay so:
MEi = MEf
m1=8.7 hi=1.09 hf = 0
m2 = 3.9 hi = 0 hf = ?
KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf
1/2mv^2 + mgh = 1/2mv^2 + mgh
(1/2)(m??1 or 2??) V^2 + m?g0 = 1/2 m? 0 + mgh

Yeah you're on the right path. Just remember that you have two masses, so you need KE and PE for both masses, before and after (8 terms). If you want to write out the complete equation, it's like this:

(KE of m1 before) + (KE of m2 before) + (PE of m1 before) + (PE of m2 before) = (KE of m1 after) + (KE of m2 after) + (PE of m1 after) + (PE of m2 after)

(1/2)m1*v1i^2 + (1/2)m2*v2i^2 + m1*g*h1i + m2*g*h2i = (1/2)m1*v1f^2 + (1/2)m2*v2f^2 + m1*g*h1f + m2*g*h2f

And like you said, h2i = 0, h1f = 0, and you also have v1i = 0 and v2i = 0 (they both start from rest). Moreover, you know that both velocities are the same since they're connected by a string, so v1f = v2f = V (we'll call both final velocites V). Now your equation reduces to:

m1*g*h1i = (1/2)m1*V^2 + (1/2)m2*V^2 + m2*g*h2f

Now that's not so bad. The rest is algebra, solving for V.

Edit: That does it for part (a). For part (b), simply use the V you got from part (a) as an initial upward velocity against gravity (ignore the other mass and string and everything else).

Related to Two masses, frictionless pulley

1. What is a frictionless pulley?

A frictionless pulley is a simple machine that consists of a grooved wheel and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is designed to change the direction of the force applied to it and to transmit force between objects. In a frictionless pulley, there is no friction between the pulley and the rope, allowing it to rotate smoothly without any loss of energy.

2. How does a frictionless pulley work?

A frictionless pulley works by using the principle of conservation of energy. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, it is transmitted to the other end of the rope through the pulley, causing the object attached to the other end to move. The pulley changes the direction of the force, but does not add or subtract any energy from the system. This allows for the movement of objects with minimal force and energy.

3. What are the two masses in a frictionless pulley system?

The two masses in a frictionless pulley system refer to the two objects that are attached to either end of the rope. These objects can have different masses and are connected by the rope that runs through the pulley. The movement of one mass will cause the other mass to move in the opposite direction.

4. What is the significance of a frictionless pulley in physics?

A frictionless pulley is significant in physics because it allows for the study and application of basic principles such as conservation of energy and Newton's laws of motion. It also simplifies the analysis of systems involving multiple objects and forces, making it a useful tool in many areas of physics, engineering, and mechanics.

5. Are there any real-life examples of frictionless pulleys?

Yes, there are real-life examples of frictionless pulleys. One common example is the elevator system, where a motorized frictionless pulley is used to lift or lower the elevator car. Another example is the flagpole, where a pulley is used to raise and lower the flag. In both cases, the use of a frictionless pulley reduces the amount of force and energy needed for the task.