How Does the Phase Difference at Detector D Arise from Sources A and B?

In summary: So, in summary, the phase difference of the waves at D is equal to $\Delta \phi = \frac{-2\pi}{\lambda}(r(A)-r(B))$, where $\lambda$ is the wavelength of the waves and $r(A)$ and $r(B)$ are the distances from source A and B respectively to the detector D.
pkielkowski
Sources A and B are on the horizontal x-axis and both emit a long-range radio wave of wavelength 400m, with the phase of emission from A ahead of that from source B by 90 degrees. The distance r(A) from Source A to the detector (D) in the y-axis is greater than the distance of r(B) by 100m. What is the phase difference of the waves at D? (both waves are directed to point D)

So far I have:

path difference(phi) = (m+1)(lambda/2)

so then

I got phi = (2pi/lambda)(delta x)

delta x = phi*lambda/2pi

I'm not sure where to go from here

Mathematics news on Phys.org
pkielkowski said:
Sources A and B are on the horizontal x-axis and both emit a long-range radio wave of wavelength 400m, with the phase of emission from A ahead of that from source B by 90 degrees. The distance r(A) from Source A to the detector (D) in the y-axis is greater than the distance of r(B) by 100m. What is the phase difference of the waves at D? (both waves are directed to point D)

So far I have:

path difference(phi) = (m+1)(lambda/2)

so then

I got phi = (2pi/lambda)(delta x)

delta x = phi*lambda/2pi

I'm not sure where to go from here

Hey pkielkowski! Welcome to MHB! (Wink)

You've got $\Delta \phi = \frac{2\pi}{\lambda}\Delta x$.
That's the contribution to the phase due to the difference in distance.
Just fill it in.
Since A is ahead by 90 degrees, that should be subtracted to get the actual phase difference.

Related to How Does the Phase Difference at Detector D Arise from Sources A and B?

1. What are long range radio waves?

Long range radio waves are electromagnetic waves that have a longer wavelength and lower frequency than other types of radio waves. They can travel long distances and are commonly used for radio communication and broadcasting.

2. How do two long range radio waves interact with each other?

When two long range radio waves cross paths, they can either cancel each other out or combine to create a new wave with a different amplitude and frequency. This phenomenon is known as interference.

3. What factors can affect the strength of two long range radio waves?

The strength of two long range radio waves can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the waves, the obstacles in their path, and the type of medium they are traveling through (air, water, etc.). Additionally, the strength of a radio wave decreases as it travels further from its source.

4. Can two long range radio waves be used for data transmission?

Yes, two long range radio waves can be used for data transmission. This is commonly done through techniques such as frequency modulation (FM) or amplitude modulation (AM), where the radio waves are modulated to carry different types of information such as voice or digital data.

5. How are two long range radio waves used in scientific research?

Two long range radio waves are used in scientific research for a variety of purposes, including studying the Earth's atmosphere, detecting signals from distant galaxies, and tracking the movements of objects in our solar system. They are also used in experiments to test the properties of electromagnetic radiation and its interactions with matter.