Two-Level Atom Driven by Two Lasers?

In summary, the optical Bloch equations for a two-level system driven by two near-detuned monochromatic radiation sources can be derived using the density matrix formalism. The resulting equations take into account the coherence between the two levels and include terms for the interaction between the two driving fields. These equations can be solved numerically or analytically to obtain the time evolution of the density matrix elements and calculate observables such as the population of each level.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey all,

I am looking for a reference that derives the optical Bloch equations for a two-level system driven by two near-detuned monochromatic radiation sources. Specifically, I am looking to substantiate a result I derived by following the same procedure as for a two-level atom driven by a single radiation source: $$\frac{d\vec{R}}{dt} = \vec{R} \times \vec{W}$$ where $$\vec{W} = [\Omega_1 + \Omega_2 \mathrm{cos}(\delta_2 - \delta_1),\Omega_{2}\mathrm{sin}(\delta_2 - \delta_1),\hbar \delta_1]^{\mathrm{T}}$$ in which $$\hbar \Omega_n = e \langle \vec{x} \cdot \vec{E_{n}} \rangle$$ and ##\delta_n## is the detuning of the n-th laser and ##\vec{E_n}## is the amplitude and polarization of the beam.

Edit: I don't need the spontaneous emission contribution, because I'm putting this in a Monte Carlo simulation where I handle spontaneous emission as a random process for each atom.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

The optical Bloch equations for a two-level system driven by two near-detuned monochromatic radiation sources can be derived using the density matrix formalism. This approach takes into account the coherence between the two levels and is often used for systems with multiple driving fields.

The resulting equations are similar to the single driving field case, but with additional terms that account for the interaction between the two driving fields. These equations are given by:

$$\frac{d}{dt}\rho_{11} = -i\Omega_{1}\rho_{12} + i\Omega_{2}^*\rho_{21} + \Gamma_{11}\rho_{11}$$

$$\frac{d}{dt}\rho_{12} = -i(\Delta_{1} + \Delta_{2})\rho_{12} + i\Omega_{1}(\rho_{11} - \rho_{22}) + i\Omega_{2}\rho_{22} + \Gamma_{12}\rho_{12}$$

$$\frac{d}{dt}\rho_{22} = i\Omega_{1}^*\rho_{12} - i\Omega_{2}\rho_{21} + \Gamma_{22}\rho_{22}$$

where ##\Delta_{1}## and ##\Delta_{2}## are the detunings of the two lasers, and ##\Gamma_{ij}## are the relaxation rates.

These equations can be solved numerically or analytically to obtain the time evolution of the density matrix elements, which can then be used to calculate the expectation values of observables such as the population of each level.

I hope this helps with your research. Good luck!

Related to Two-Level Atom Driven by Two Lasers?

1. What is a two-level atom driven by two lasers?

A two-level atom driven by two lasers is a physical system in which a two-level atom is exposed to the influence of two lasers. This setup is commonly used in quantum optics experiments to study the behavior of atoms in the presence of external fields.

2. How does the interaction between the atom and the lasers work?

The atom and the lasers interact through a process called stimulated Raman scattering. This occurs when one of the lasers excites the atom to a higher energy level, and the other laser causes the atom to transition back to its original energy level, emitting a photon in the process.

3. What are the applications of a two-level atom driven by two lasers?

This system has a variety of applications in both fundamental research and practical technologies. It is used in quantum computing, precision measurements, and quantum information processing.

4. How is the behavior of the atom affected by the lasers?

The behavior of the atom is highly dependent on the relative strength and frequency of the two lasers. By varying these parameters, researchers can manipulate the atom's energy levels and study its response to different stimuli.

5. What are the advantages of using a two-level atom driven by two lasers in experiments?

The use of a two-level atom driven by two lasers allows for precise control and manipulation of the atom's state. This system also provides a simplified model for studying more complex quantum systems, making it a valuable tool for research in quantum mechanics and quantum information science.