Two hydrogen atom with same spin can form H_2?

In summary, the formation of H2 requires the hydrogen atoms to have opposite spin according to the laws of chemistry. If they have the same spin, they cannot form H2 and will only experience dispersion and inducing forces. The spin of the hydrogen atoms can be either parallel or opposite, with para-hydrogen having opposite spin and ortho-hydrogen having the same spin for both protons and electrons. However, at low temperatures and with the application of a high magnetic field, it is possible to polarize all the hydrogen atoms in the same direction, but this does not result in the formation of H2. The resulting H1 would have different chemical properties and be half as dense as regular hydrogen.
spocchio
As I know from the laws of chemistry,to form H_2 the H atoms must have opposite spin.
What if they have the same spin?
I mean, can an H atom rotate to swap his spin (i'm not expert of the dynamics of spin), or there is no way to couple them?
In the case I have a gas of H with all of them polarized in the same direction is the formation of H_2 possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that para-hydrogen has opposite spin, but ortho-hydrogen has matching spin.

Para-hydrogen is spin 1/2, but I believe ortho-hydrogen is allowed 3 states of spin and is a spin 1 particle.

Sorry, but I do not have a good reference on this at the moment, only memory.

Oh so you talk about the spin of the proton, that's another interesting subject about coupling.
I expressed myself badly, i was asking about spin of ELECTRON (i supposed chemists don't work with nuclear spin)

I wish I could find a handy reference, but the electrons for parahydrogen are always opposite, but the electons for ortho hydrogen can be both up, both down or opposite.

The protons for parahydrogen are always opposite, and the protons for orthohydrogen are always the same.

Does anyone have a reference to check...

spocchio said:
... In the case I have a gas of H with all of them polarized in the same direction is the formation of H_2 possible?

apparently not, provided that is you arrange for all the atoms to be polarized in the same direction by application of a high magnetic field at low temperatures.

sadly however all i know about the subject is what i have gleaned from googling "spin polarized atomic hydrogen" an interesting question though!

That's interesting. You'd then have H_1 with chemical properties that might be totally different then the familiar hydrogen. It would be half as dense, right?

In my opinion, if the two atoms are polarized having the same spin, they must not form the H2 which means the covalent bond can not be formed. And the interactions between the same spin will be similar to the source of van der waals force which contains dispersion force, inducing force,orientation force. Just for the atoms having the same spin, i think only the dispersion force and inducing force will work.

Related to Two hydrogen atom with same spin can form H_2?

1. How do two hydrogen atoms with same spin form H2?

The two hydrogen atoms must first collide and interact with each other, causing their electrons to share the same spin orientation. This process is known as spin pairing. Once the electrons share the same spin, they can then form a covalent bond to create a molecule of H2.

2. Is the formation of H2 with two hydrogen atoms with same spin common?

No, the formation of H2 with two hydrogen atoms with same spin is not common. This is because the probability of two hydrogen atoms colliding with the same spin orientation is very low. In most cases, the hydrogen atoms will have opposite spin orientations, resulting in the formation of a different molecule, such as H2O.

3. What is the significance of two hydrogen atoms having the same spin in the formation of H2?

The significance of two hydrogen atoms having the same spin is that it allows for the formation of a stable molecule of H2. This is because when the electrons share the same spin, they are able to bond more easily, resulting in a stronger and more stable molecule.

4. Can two hydrogen atoms with opposite spin orientations form H2?

Yes, two hydrogen atoms with opposite spin orientations can also form H2. However, the process of spin pairing will not occur, and the bond between the two atoms will be weaker compared to when the electrons have the same spin orientation. This can result in a less stable molecule of H2.

5. Are there any other molecules that can be formed from two hydrogen atoms with same spin?

Yes, there are other molecules that can be formed from two hydrogen atoms with same spin, such as H2+, H3+, and H4. These molecules are less stable than H2 and are typically only found in high-energy environments, such as in stars or during chemical reactions.