Two hard physics problems (Projectile motion and gravitation), for me

In summary, the first problem involves finding the time between release and first impact, which can be calculated using the equation √(2H/g). For the second problem, the conservation of a certain quantity before and after each collision is important to consider, as well as the direction of velocity after any of the collisions. The equation for gravitational attractive force between two masses is also relevant to the solution. The first question may be tricky, but with practice, these types of questions can become easier to solve.
physicsisgrea

Homework Statement

Please refer to the figures. (The first one is multiple-choice, the latter is structured).

Homework Equations

For the first problem:
u = √(2gH)
x = uxsinθt + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]gsinθt2
uycosθt = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]gcosθt2 and maybe others
u = initial velocity
x = x-displacement (along the slope)
y = y-displacement (perpendicular to slope)

For the second:
FG= Gm1m2 / r2
m are masses
r is radius
FG = gravitational attractive force between two masses
[itex]G\ =\ 6.673(10)\ \times\ 10^{-11}\ m^{3} kg^{-1} s^{-2}[/itex]

and maybe others

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, I've been doing these two problems for hours, still can't get the answers:

For the first, I only found that the time between the release and the first impact might be √(2H/g).

For the second problem I even don't any idea about how to solve it:(

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,064
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the first question is a bit tricky. Those kinds of questions get easier with practice. You are right about the time between release and the first impact, but I don't think that is useful for answering the question. It says that each of the collisions are elastic, so this tells you something that is conserved before and after each collision. What is that quantity? And from the diagram, what can you say about the direction of velocity after any of the collisions?

Related to Two hard physics problems (Projectile motion and gravitation), for me

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through space that is only affected by the force of gravity. It involves both horizontal and vertical components of motion.

How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, velocity describes how fast and in which direction an object is moving, while acceleration describes how quickly the velocity is changing.

What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force, while mass remains constant.

How does the force of gravity change with distance?

The force of gravity decreases with distance between two objects. This is described by the inverse square law, which states that the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.