Two grids, one rotating, share equivalent x-y coordinates with different values.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with creating a Christmas toy and the need to find a formula for determining the x-y coordinates of a rotating surface on a non-rotating surface. The example given involves rotating a 2D surface on top of another 2D surface and finding the coordinates of a point on the rotating surface. The conversation also mentions using a spreadsheet to create a formula for finding the coordinates and expresses a desire for help with this task.
Rlafrog
I’m a woodworker, a math idiot, my trig hasn’t improved since I flunked it 40 years ago and I need help making a Christmas toy for my grand-kids. The values that follow are arbitrary, were extracted using eng graphics software and should be solid.

Problem: I have one 2D surface (that rotates) on a second 2D surface (that doesn’t rotate). It appears to me (?) that a given x-y point on the rotating surface can be expressed using the x-y coordinates of the non-rotating surface as a function of the degree of rotation –and also - where the axis-of rotation of the (rotating) surface lives (on the non-rotating surface).

Example:

I have a piece of graph paper with an x-y grid centered at (0,0) which I will call the Top Grid (T), and a point ‘p1’ drawn on the surface at T( 46.34, 41.69 ).

I have a piece of plywood with a grid stenciled on the surface w/ a center at (0, 0) which I will call the Bottom Grid (B).

I push a pin through the Top Grid at T(0,0) and pin it to the Bottom Grid’s point B(0,0) so that the Top Grid can rotate freely around the Bottom Grid’s center-point at (0,0). Stated differently, the axis-of-rotation for the Top Grid is point B(0, 0) on the Bottom Grid.

I align the x and y axes of both grids (rotation = 0) and mark p1 (of the Top Grid) onto the bottom grid to find that: p1(x, y) = T(x, y) = B(x, y) = ( 46.34, 41.69 ), …no surprises.

I rotate the Top Grid 10 degrees clockwise and mark p1 onto the Bottom Grid to discover that: p1(x, y) = T( 46.34, 41.69 ) = B( 52.87, 33.01 )

I separate the two grids so I can move the Top Grid’s axis-of-rotation to a different point on the Bottom Grid. Unfamiliar with Math terminology, any point on the Bottom Grid that serves as an axis-of rotation for the Top Grid that is not ( 0, 0), I refer to as the Top Grid’s “x-y offset”. I establish a new A-o-R for the Top Grid at B(46.45, -42.38) on the Bottom Grid.

I align the axes of both grids (no rotation) and mark p1 onto the Bottom Grid to discover that: p1(x, y) = T( 46.34, 41.69 ) = B( 92.79, -0.6886 )

I rotate the Top Grid 8.5 degrees counter-clockwise and mark p1 onto the Bottom Grid to discover that: p1(x, y) = T( 46.34, 41.69 ) = B( 86.12, 5.70 )

[I’m lousy at Math-speak, but I’ll take a shot anyway …] Can someone help me with a formula that I can put into a spreadsheet that will give me the Bottom Grids x-y equivalents for any x-y point on the Top Grid as a function of the Top Grid’s A-o-R ‘x and y offset’ [from B( 0, 0) to B( x, y)] with an n-degree of rotation (of the (Top Grid)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am attempting to solve this problem graphically, a technique that is not only prone to errors but extremely time consuming. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The attached file shows an image from Excel that should work for you.

Attachments

• woodworking.jpg
    woodworking.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 402

Related to Two grids, one rotating, share equivalent x-y coordinates with different values.

1. What is the purpose of having two grids with different values but equivalent coordinates?

The purpose of having two grids with different values but equivalent coordinates is to compare and analyze data from different sources or experiments. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the data and can help identify patterns or discrepancies.

2. How does the rotation of one grid affect the coordinates of the other grid?

The rotation of one grid does not affect the coordinates of the other grid. The equivalent x-y coordinates remain the same, but the values may differ due to different data sources or experiments.

3. Can the two grids be used interchangeably?

No, the two grids cannot be used interchangeably because they have different values. While they may have equivalent coordinates, the data represented on each grid is unique and cannot be directly compared.

4. How do you determine which grid is more accurate?

The accuracy of a grid depends on the data source and the experiment it represents. Both grids may have their own level of accuracy, and it is up to the scientist to carefully analyze and interpret the data from each grid to determine which one is more accurate for their specific research or study.

5. Is it possible to convert the values on one grid to match the values on the other grid?

Yes, it is possible to convert the values on one grid to match the values on the other grid. However, this conversion may not be accurate or meaningful as the data on each grid may have different units or may represent different variables. It is important to carefully consider the data and its context before attempting any conversions.