Two Frequency Input Solving for Output

In summary: It's bang right on as the way forward isn't it? You have to work out the answer in the frequency domain and then bung it all together together to find the time function.
KasraMohammad
Say for example you have a Input Voltage in a circuit that is equal to Vin = 4cost + 5sin2t. Clearly, the input is operating on two different frequencies, namely w=1 and w=2. I am trying to find the Output Voltage across an arbitrary resistor in the circuit. The circuit consists of resistors and a capacitor, so its quite plain and standard.

My question is, how do you solve for the output given the above input, considering the different frequencies? My intuitions tells me to solve using Vin=4cost first and get the Vout, then solve using Vin=5sin2t and get another value for Vout, and the actual Vout will be the sum of the two. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you driving a load with a voltage source like what you gave, the voltage across the load is just Vin! Because you specified it is a voltage source and it has zero output impedance! It does not care what load it is!

I am just trying to give you a bad time. You have not given enough info on what is the output. You need to draw the circuit. Yes, if Vin = 4cost + 5sin2t, you treat is as two separate voltage one with w=1 and the other w=2.

I wasn't talking about the voltage across the TOTAL load. Read over the post again. I mentioned Vout being the Voltage across ONE arbitrary resistor in the circuit consisting of resistors(plural) and a capacitor. Thus, the voltage across the individual resistors will not equal the voltage source itself since there are other components also in the circuit. Give us newbs a hardtime, but don't forget reading comprehension! just giving you a hard time.

The last part of your post answered my question. So you treat it as two separate voltage sources. Thats what i needed. Thanks buddy!

Is Superposition method stiill taught?

KasraMohammad said:
I wasn't talking about the voltage across the TOTAL load. Read over the post again. I mentioned Vout being the Voltage across ONE arbitrary resistor in the circuit consisting of resistors(plural) and a capacitor. Thus, the voltage across the individual resistors will not equal the voltage source itself since there are other components also in the circuit. Give us newbs a hardtime, but don't forget reading comprehension! just giving you a hard time.

The last part of your post answered my question. So you treat it as two separate voltage sources. Thats what i needed. Thanks buddy!

Writing in a more concise way could avoid misunderstanding. If you want a proper answer to a specific question it is always a good idea to supply a diagram of the actual circuit rather than assuming you've described it unambiguously. What could "total load" possibly mean?

Also he could be more graceful in replying as he is the one that need help. I started out as a friendly joke, but no matter how I read the response, that didn't sound very friendly.

Kids these days!

sophiecentaur said:
Kids these days!

:smile::smile:

jim hardy said:
Is Superposition method stiill taught?

I was actually taken back a little...Is this a trick question or am I missing something? I actually went through Fourier Series etc. before I responsed! That's kind of got me into the joking mood!

yungman said:
I was actually taken back a little...Is this a trick question or am I missing something? I actually went through Fourier Series etc. before I responsed! That's kind of got me into the joking mood!

It's bang right on as the way forward isn't it? You have to work out the answer in the frequency domain and then bung it all together together to find the time function.

Related to Two Frequency Input Solving for Output

1. What is "Two Frequency Input Solving for Output"?

"Two Frequency Input Solving for Output" is a mathematical and engineering concept that involves finding the output of a system with two different input frequencies. This is commonly used in signal processing and control systems.

2. How is "Two Frequency Input Solving for Output" used in real-world applications?

This concept is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as audio signal processing, electronic circuit design, and climate modeling. It allows for the analysis and control of systems with multiple input signals.

3. What are the steps involved in solving for the output in "Two Frequency Input Solving for Output"?

The first step is to determine the transfer function of the system, which relates the input and output signals. Then, the inputs are represented as complex numbers and the transfer function is evaluated at those input values. Finally, the output is obtained by multiplying the transfer function values with the input values and converting back to the time domain.

4. What are the advantages of using "Two Frequency Input Solving for Output" compared to other methods?

This method allows for the analysis of systems with multiple input signals, which is not possible with other methods. It also provides a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the system's behavior, making it useful for complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with "Two Frequency Input Solving for Output"?

One limitation is that it assumes linearity and time-invariance of the system, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. It also requires a good understanding of complex numbers and transfer functions, making it more challenging for those without a strong mathematical background.