Two elementary algebra problems

In summary, the two basic operations in elementary algebra are addition and multiplication, symbolized by "+" and "x" or "•" respectively. The order of operations in solving algebraic equations is PEMDAS, or "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally", which follows the order of Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). To solve for an unknown variable in an algebraic equation, you must isolate the variable on one side using inverse operations. Algebraic equations can have more than one variable, but you need the same number of equations as variables to solve for all of them. In elementary algebra, an expression is a combination of numbers, variables
jangoom
#1. How many classrooms would be necessary to hold 1,000,000 inflated balloons? (Assume one balloon is about 1 ft3 and a typical classroom is about 30 ft × 45 ft × 15 ft. Round your answer to the nearest number of classrooms.)

#2. Approximately how high would a stack of 1 million \$1 bills be? (Assume there are 233 new \$1 bills per inch. Round your answer to the nearest yard.

Its been years! I need an answer and how you got there please.. much appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I've re-titled this thread and moved it into the appropriate forum. Also, I've deleted another thread of yours as it duplicates a question found here. In future, please do not post duplicates, post in the appropriate forum and give your threads a descriptive title. Thanks! :)

Using the method we have used in your other thread, can you now attempt these questions?

Well I'm still lost. Is it the same method? Can you show me again how you do it.. I need a learn it...

jangoom said:
1. How many classrooms would be necessary to hold 1,000,000 inflated balloons?
Assume one balloon is about 1 ft³ and a typical classroom is about 30 ft x 45 ft x 15 ft.
Round your answer to the nearest number of classrooms.

A classroom holds: [tex]30 \times 45\times 15 \:=\:20,250 \text{ ft}^3[/tex]

To hold a million balloons requires: [tex]\frac{1,000,000}{20.250} \:=\:49.3827...\;\approx\; 49\text{ classrooms.}[/tex]

#2. Approximately how high would a stack of 1 million \$1 bills be?
Assume there are 233 new \$1 bills per inch. Round your answer to the nearest yard.

[tex]\frac{1,000,000}{233} \:=\:4291.8454... \text{ inches}[/tex]

[tex]\text{Divide by 36; }\;119.2179... \; \approx\; 119\text{ yards}[/tex]

Related to Two elementary algebra problems

What are the two basic operations in elementary algebra?

The two basic operations in elementary algebra are addition and multiplication. Addition is denoted by the symbol "+", while multiplication is denoted by the symbol "x" or "•".

What is the order of operations in solving algebraic equations?

The order of operations in solving algebraic equations is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This is also known as the "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" rule.

How do you solve for an unknown variable in an algebraic equation?

To solve for an unknown variable in an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as adding or subtracting the same number on both sides, or multiplying or dividing both sides by the same number.

Can you solve algebraic equations with more than one variable?

Yes, algebraic equations can have more than one variable. In this case, you would need to have the same number of equations as the number of variables in order to solve for all the variables.

What is the difference between an expression and an equation in elementary algebra?

An expression in elementary algebra is a combination of numbers, variables, and operations, while an equation is a statement that shows the equality of two expressions. Equations have an equal sign, while expressions do not.