Two dimensional stress problem

• Thread starter temaire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, when encountering a discrepancy between the expected solution and the calculated solution, it is important to carefully review all calculations, equations, and assumptions to identify and correct any potential errors. Seeking input from colleagues or reference material can also be helpful in confirming the correct solution.
temaire

Homework Statement

2yy9j85.png

The Attempt at a Solution

My stress element is as follows:

v3jfo6.png

Using trig I solved for [itex]\sigma_x^' = 34.641 MPa[/itex].

Then I used the following equation to solve for [itex]\sigma_x[/itex]:

2ynl6z4.png

I get [itex]\sigma_x = 34.07 MPa[/itex]. However, the answer is supposed to be [itex]\sigma_x = 38.68 Mpa[/itex]. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to carefully analyze all elements of a problem and consider all possible factors that could affect the solution. In this case, it is possible that there may be an error in the trigonometric calculations or in the equation used to solve for \sigma_x. I would recommend double-checking all calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or reference material to confirm the correct solution. Additionally, it is important to consider any assumptions that were made in solving this problem and to make sure they are valid. Sometimes, small details or assumptions can greatly impact the final solution. By carefully reviewing and checking all elements of the problem, it is possible to identify and correct any errors and arrive at the correct solution.

Related to Two dimensional stress problem

What is a two dimensional stress problem?

A two dimensional stress problem is a type of scientific problem that deals with the distribution of stress in an object or material in two dimensions. This means that the stress is analyzed along two axes, typically the x and y axes, rather than just one. This type of problem is commonly encountered in engineering and physics.

What are the types of stress that can be analyzed in a two dimensional stress problem?

The types of stress that can be analyzed in a two dimensional stress problem include normal stress, also known as tensile or compressive stress, and shear stress. Normal stress is a force that acts perpendicular to the surface of an object, while shear stress is a force that acts parallel to the surface.

What is the difference between two dimensional stress and three dimensional stress?

The main difference between two dimensional stress and three dimensional stress is the number of dimensions in which the stress is analyzed. In two dimensional stress, stress is analyzed along two axes, while in three dimensional stress, it is analyzed along three axes, typically the x, y, and z axes. This means that three dimensional stress problems are more complex and require more advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

How is a two dimensional stress problem solved?

A two dimensional stress problem is typically solved using mathematical equations and principles of mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law. The problem can be solved using analytical methods, where the equations are solved algebraically, or numerical methods, where the equations are solved using a computer program.

What are some real-world applications of two dimensional stress problems?

Two dimensional stress problems have many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of engineering and materials science. They are used to analyze the stress distribution in structures such as bridges, buildings, and airplanes, and to design materials that can withstand different types of stress. They are also used to study the behavior of biological tissues and cells under various stresses.