Two dimensional relative motion; boat and river problem

In summary, Mary will be 300 meters away from her intended landing spot when she reaches the opposite shore.
physicsstdnt

Homework Statement

Mary needs to row her boat across a 100-m-wide river that is flowing to the east at a speed of 1.0 m/s. Mary can row with a speed of 2.0 m/s.
a) If Mary points her boat due north, how far from her intended landing spot will she be when she reaches the opposite shore?
b) What is her speed with respect to the shore?

Homework Equations

(V_r^2 + V_m^2)^(1/2)
In the y direction (north): d = 2t (where d is distance; t is time)
In the x direction (east): d = 1t

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I solved for t in the y direction and got 50 seconds then i plugged it into the x direction to find out how far off she was from her intended landing spot. The book shows a different answer than what i got.

b) I took the velocity of the river and squared it; then i took the velocity of Mary and squared it; then added and took the square root of the sum. I get 5^(1/2), but the book shows a different answer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to physicsforums, physicsstdnt (appropriate name, btw). Um, your answers look fine to me (assuming that mary's rowing speed is independent of the speed of the river). What were the book's answers?

The book says that her speed was 3.2 m/s and she landed 300 meters away from her intended landing spot

The book's answer really doesn't make sense to me. It implies that relative to the shore, the boat is moving at roughly 3m/s east and 1m/s north, but since the river is only going at 1m/s east, this would imply she is trying to row downstream, which goes against the whole point of the problem.

It is possible that the book has printed the answer in the wrong place. (or just got the answer wrong). This does happen on occasion.

BruceW said:
The book's answer really doesn't make sense to me. It implies that relative to the shore, the boat is moving at roughly 3m/s east and 1m/s north
The book's answer makes perfect sense if the book solved a slightly different problem than the one stated in the question. The book's answer is for the problem where the river flows at 3 m/s and Mary rows at 1 m/s.

It is possible that the book has printed the answer in the wrong place. (or just got the answer wrong). This does happen on occasion.
It is also possible that the book's answer is for a question that differs from the question that was asked. This, too, happens on occasion.

Ok. I thought that it might be something like that, but i wanted to be sure. Thanks guys

no problem man. it is annoying when this kind of thing happens

two dimensional problem

Mary rows across a 100m wide river at 2m/s in the northen direction. River flows east at 1m/s. How far from her intended landing spot will she be when she reaches the opposite shore
Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Related to Two dimensional relative motion; boat and river problem

1. What is the concept of relative motion in a two-dimensional boat and river problem?

The concept of relative motion in a two-dimensional boat and river problem refers to the movement of an object or boat relative to another moving object or body of water. In this problem, the boat is moving in a river with its own velocity, while the river itself is also moving with its own velocity. The relative motion between the boat and the river can be calculated to determine the final velocity and direction of the boat.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of a boat in a river?

To calculate the velocity of a boat in a river, you need to consider both the velocity of the boat and the velocity of the river. The total velocity of the boat can be calculated by using the vector addition formula, where the velocity of the boat is added to the velocity of the river in the opposite direction. This will give you the total velocity of the boat relative to the shore.

3. What factors affect the relative motion of a boat in a river?

The relative motion of a boat in a river is affected by several factors, including the velocity of the boat, the velocity of the river, and the angle at which the boat is moving with respect to the river's direction. Other factors such as wind and current can also influence the relative motion of the boat.

4. How can you determine the direction of a boat in a river?

To determine the direction of a boat in a river, you need to use vector addition. The direction of the boat is determined by the angle between the boat's velocity and the velocity of the river. This can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

5. Can you apply the concept of relative motion to other situations besides a boat in a river?

Yes, the concept of relative motion can be applied to various situations where two objects are moving relative to each other. For example, it can be used to calculate the velocity and direction of a plane flying in the wind, a car moving on a curved road, or a person walking on a moving walkway. The principles of vector addition and trigonometry can be applied to solve relative motion problems in any scenario.