Two dimensional Cauchy problems

• Thread starter user40191
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cauchy
In summary: Okay, so in the theorem, you take the derivative of the equation with respect to t, and then use the chain rule to get the integral. What you're doing is a special case of this, where the derivative is zero. In general, if you have a function y(t) that is differentiable at a point t, and you want to find an equation that relates y(t) to some other function x(t), you can do the following: y(t) = f(x(t))
user40191
Let y(t) = (y1(t), y2(t))^T and
A(t) = (a(t) b(t)
c(t) d(t)).

A(t) is a 2x2 matrix with a,b,c,d all polynomials in t. Consider the two dimensional Cauchy problem y'(t) = A(t)y(t), y(0)=y0.
Show that a solution exists for all t>=0.
Give a general condition on the A(t) which ensures global existence.

Please could you help me with this question - I don't know what to do. I need to use Picard somewhere I think but I don't know how to go about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, you know the name "Picard" so I presume you have seen the proof- probably for one dimension. Do exactly the same thing: dy/dt= Ay. Convert that to an integral equation by integrating both sides: [itex]y= A\int_0^x y(t) dt[/itex]. Think of that as a "linear transformation", [itex]T(y)= A\int_0^x y(t)dt[/itex] and, just as in the regular "Picard theorem", show that, under restrictions on the domain, that is a "contraction mapping".

HallsofIvy said:
Okay, you know the name "Picard" so I presume you have seen the proof- probably for one dimension. Do exactly the same thing: dy/dt= Ay. Convert that to an integral equation by integrating both sides: [itex]y= A\int_0^x y(t) dt[/itex]. Think of that as a "linear transformation", [itex]T(y)= A\int_0^x y(t)dt[/itex] and, just as in the regular "Picard theorem", show that, under restrictions on the domain, that is a "contraction mapping".

Can you take the matrix out of the integral even though its entries are polynomials in t?

You are right. I ignored the fact that entries are functions of t. It should be [tex]y= \int_0^x A(t)y(t)dt[/tex] and [tex]T(y)= \int_0^x A(t)y(t)dt[/tex].

For a general initial condition [itex]\vec{y}(0)=\vec{y}_0[/itex] the integral equation reads
[tex]\vec{y}(t)=\vec{y}_0+\int_0^t \mathrm{d} t' \hat{A}(t') \vec{y}(t').[/tex]
Now you can solve the problem easily by iteration. It's important to keep in mind that in general the matrices [itex]\hat{A}(t)[/itex] do not commute at different times!

HallsofIvy said:
You are right. I ignored the fact that entries are functions of t. It should be [tex]y= \int_0^x A(t)y(t)dt[/tex] and [tex]T(y)= \int_0^x A(t)y(t)dt[/tex].

Would you mind going into a little more depth about how you'd modify the Picard's theorem proof here? I'm a little confused as the version I've seen is really long.

Related to Two dimensional Cauchy problems

1. What is a two dimensional Cauchy problem?

A two dimensional Cauchy problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to a partial differential equation in two dimensions, given initial conditions at a particular point in the two-dimensional space. This type of problem is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and solve various physical phenomena.

2. What is the Cauchy problem in two dimensions for a scalar function?

The Cauchy problem in two dimensions for a scalar function involves finding a solution to a partial differential equation in two dimensions, given the initial values of the function and its first-order derivatives at a particular point in the two-dimensional space. This type of problem is often used to model and solve heat transfer, diffusion, and wave propagation problems.

3. What are some common methods for solving two dimensional Cauchy problems?

Some common methods for solving two dimensional Cauchy problems include separation of variables, Fourier series, Laplace transform, and numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and the desired accuracy of the solution.

4. What are the applications of two dimensional Cauchy problems?

Two dimensional Cauchy problems have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used to model and analyze heat transfer, diffusion, wave propagation, and other physical phenomena. They are also used in image processing, signal analysis, and data interpolation.

5. What are some challenges in solving two dimensional Cauchy problems?

Solving two dimensional Cauchy problems can be challenging due to the complexity of the mathematical equations involved and the need for accurate initial conditions. In addition, the choice of method and the accuracy of the numerical approximations can greatly affect the solution. Furthermore, singularities and discontinuities in the solution can make the problem more difficult to solve.