Find Head of Vector [a,b,c] with Length 3 in Same Direction as [−3,−4,12]

In summary, the conversation was about finding the head of a vector [a,b,c] with a length of 3 and in the same direction as vector a=[-3,-4,12]. The speaker used the formula Cos alpha = -3/13 which is equal to a/3, Cos beta = -4/13 which is equal to b/3, and Cos gamma = 12/13 which is equal to c/3 to find the values for a, b, and c. However, the book shows a different answer, leaving the speaker wondering what they did wrong.
PiRsq
The question asked me to find the head of a vector [a,b,c] whose length is 3 and is in the same direction as vector
a=[-3,-4,12]

So I found the follwing:

Let vector x be the unknown vector

|a|=13
|x|=3

Since they are both in the same direction, they both must have the same direction angles right?

So:

Cos alpha = -3/13 which is equal to a/3
Cos beta = -4/13 which is equal to b/3
Cos gamma = 12/13 which is equal to c/3

Then I got the values for a,b and c but the book shows me a different answer. What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
What values did you get, and what does the book say?

I found my answer to be correct because I did a similar question and found my method to work. Thx though

What is the significance of finding the head of a vector with length 3 in the same direction as [-3,-4,12]?

This type of vector operation is often used in physics and engineering to determine the direction and magnitude of a force or velocity. It allows us to understand the relationship between different vectors and how they can be combined or resolved.

What does the vector [a,b,c] represent in this scenario?

The vector [a,b,c] represents the initial direction and magnitude of the vector in question. It is the vector that we are trying to find the head of, with a length of 3 units.

Why is the length of 3 units significant in this problem?

In this problem, the length of 3 units is a given parameter. It represents the magnitude or size of the vector that we are trying to find the head of. By specifying a length of 3 units, we can solve for the specific values of a, b, and c that satisfy the given conditions.

What is the process for finding the head of a vector with a given length and direction?

The process involves using vector operations and mathematical equations to determine the values of a, b, and c that satisfy the given conditions. This typically involves setting up and solving a system of equations to find the specific values of a, b, and c that correspond to the given length and direction.

Is this type of vector problem commonly used in scientific fields?

Yes, this type of vector problem is commonly used in scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. Vectors are an essential tool for understanding and analyzing physical phenomena and are used in a wide range of applications.