Two different functions, the same derivative. Very interesting.

In summary, two functions differ by a constant, and the derivative is the rate of change of the constants. If you need some physical intuition, compare ##x(t)=t^2## to ##x(t)=t^2+1##.
jasonlr82794
Hey guys, I had a question about two functions and many more if you look at it right, that have the same derivative. I took the derivative of x^2 and found its derivative is of course 2x. So I decided to take the derivative and x^2+1 and found the same derivative applies? How can This be? Logically, you would think since the function x^2+1 is building up distance faster than that of x^2 the derivative would at least be slightly greater but it doesn't hold true. And is there anyway that I could look at the function x^2 and logically deduce that its derivative is 2x. Maybe I am not grasping the full concept of the instantaneous derivative. Please help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those two functions differ by a constant. Any two functions f(x) and g(x) that differ only by a constant, i.e., f(x)-g(x)=c, will have the same derivative.

Ok, I understand the constant rule and how this applies but if one function is building up distance faster than another wouldn't that imply a slightly faster rate of change?

jasonlr82794 said:
Logically, you would think since the function x^2+1 is building up distance faster than that of x^2 the derivative would at least be slightly greater but it doesn't hold true.

Err, no. The derivative is rate of change, and the rate of change of constants are zero. Why should the gradient of the tangent depend on its position?

And is there anyway that I could look at the function x^2 and logically deduce that its derivative is 2x.

You have the definition of the derivative. That's how everything is "logically deduced": you go back to the definition.

jasonlr82794 said:
Ok, I understand the constant rule and how this applies but if one function is building up distance faster than another wouldn't that imply a slightly faster rate of change?

In your example...they are not. That's why they have the same derivative.

If you need some physical intuition, compare ##x(t)=t^2## to ##x(t)=t^2+1##. That 1 in the second formula is just the starting position (if t=0 is the "start"). It has nothing to do with speed. Note also that in a race between two vehicles that move as described by these functions, the distance between them at time t would be ##(t^2+1)-t^2=1##, which is a constant.

Likes Shreya, Simon Bridge and jasonlr82794
Ok, so this one is to Fredrik. I looked at the graph and the starting position like you said was 0,1 and for the other function 0,0. So there distances are building up the same just different positions? I looked on the graphs of these two functions and also noticed it is the same exact graph besided the starting position. I'm pretty sure I got that now but how about if I only knew my derivative and time and had my velocity graph. I integrated this and it only came to the distance answers on the function x^2? Can you explain this?

jasonlr82794 said:
Ok, so this one is to Fredrik. I looked at the graph and the starting position like you said was 0,1 and for the other function 0,0. So there distances are building up the same just different positions? I looked on the graphs of these two functions and also noticed it is the same exact graph besided the starting position. I'm pretty sure I got that now but how about if I only knew my derivative and time and had my velocity graph. I integrated this and it only came to the distance answers on the function x^2? Can you explain this?

When you integrate a function you have to remember that you can add any constant to that function and get another function which works. This is often denoted with a +C at the end, for example

[tex] \int 2x dx = x^2 + C [/tex]
To remind you that x2+3324.245245 is an equally valid choice of function

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that makes perfect sense. Since they built up distance the same just at different starting positions they will still obtain the same distance no matter what the graph distance says because their derivative is the same. Thank you all for helping me and it really does make a lot more sense now.

Related to Two different functions, the same derivative. Very interesting.

1. What does it mean for two different functions to have the same derivative?

Having the same derivative means that the rate of change of both functions at any given point is equal. In other words, the slope of the tangent line to both functions at that point will be the same.

2. Can two different functions have the same derivative at all points?

Yes, it is possible for two different functions to have the same derivative at all points. This is known as a functional identity, where the two functions may look different, but their derivatives are equal.

3. How can two functions with different equations have the same derivative?

This is possible because the derivative only depends on the rate of change at a given point, not the overall shape of the function. So, even if two functions have different equations, they can have the same rate of change at a certain point, resulting in the same derivative.

4. Why is it important to study functions with the same derivative?

Studying functions with the same derivative can help us understand the relationship between different functions and how they behave. It can also help us solve problems and make connections between seemingly unrelated functions.

5. Can two functions with the same derivative have different antiderivatives?

Yes, two functions with the same derivative can have different antiderivatives. This is because the antiderivative of a function is not unique, and there can be multiple functions with the same derivative but different constants of integration.