Two cork balls of mass .2g hang physics problem

In summary, two cork balls with a combined mass of .2g and a total positive charge of 3.0x10^-8 C hang from a support point by massless insulating threads of length 20cm. Half of the charge is distributed to each ball, causing them to spread apart to a new equilibrium position. With a value of theta between /| or |\, the tension in the threads can be found by using the equations Fx = Tsin(theta) - Fq = 0 and Fy = Tcos(theta) - mg = 0. However, solving for Fq requires finding the distance (r) between the balls, which involves theta. There may be an easier method to solve this problem without
deltabourne
I have no idea why I can't do it.. I must have done it a million times before:

Two cork balls of mass .2g hang from the same support point by massless insulating threads of length 20cm. A total positive charge of 3.0x10^-8 C is added to the system. Half of this charge is taken up by each balls, and the balls spread apart to a new equilibrium position. (There is a value of theta in the diagram, which looks roughly like: /\ (each line holds a ball with a charge). Theta is between one of those lines and a line down the middle, so between /| or |\

Find the tension in the threads.

Now I get
Fx = Tsin(theta) - Fq = 0
Fy = Tcos(theta) - mg = 0

I don't know how to solve it from there - to find Fq I need r, which is hard to find since it involves theta (I think). And I can't solve out for T because there is a sin and cosine function.

There must be an easier way to solve this - what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations aren't quite right - if [itex]\theta[/itex] is the full angle between the strings you should have [itex]\frac{\theta}{2}[/tex] instead of [itex]\theta[/itex].

What you want to do is rewrite each equation with the trig function on one side then divide one by the other. From that you can determint [itex]\theta[/itex] and the rest should be simple.

Tide said:
Your equations aren't quite right - if [itex]\theta[/itex] is the full angle between the strings you should have [itex]\frac{\theta}{2}[/tex] instead of [itex]\theta[/itex].
No, theta isn't the full angle, it's the angle halfway between each of the strings (I don't think I explained that well)

Tide said:
What you want to do is rewrite each equation with the trig function on one side then divide one by the other. From that you can determint [itex]\theta[/itex] and the rest should be simple.
Hrm... I'll give that a shot, thanks.

edit: How do I find r though? (The distance between the two balls)

Last edited:
[tex]r = 2L \sin \theta[/tex]

Tide said:
[tex]r = 2L \sin \theta[/tex]
OK, that's what I get.. but then I'm left to solve (using the method you told me):
sin^3(theta)/cos(theta)= a bunch of values I have known

Isn't there a way to do it without using theta, since I'm asked to find that in the next part of the problem?

That [itex]\sin^3 \theta[/itex] does complicate matters!

I don't see a way of getting rid of it but you might consider that "bunch of values." If it's small enough you might use a small angle approximation to the trig functions or try to solve the equation numerically.

Tide said:
That [itex]\sin^3 \theta[/itex] does complicate matters!

I don't see a way of getting rid of it but you might consider that "bunch of values." If it's small enough you might use a small angle approximation to the trig functions or try to solve the equation numerically.
I don't think I'm supposed to get that complicated, this is a fairly easy problem (it's one of the first) and it's under the section that hasn't even gotten to Coulomb's law. I must be missing something

Look at it this way: Gravity is pushing down, so the "down" part of your triangle is going to be 9.8 * whateverthemasswas

Now, you just need to figure out at what point the force of tension in the cord towards the center equals the force of repulsion of the charges. Just remember that the upwards force of tension must always be 9.8 * mass, and that the force towards center will be proportional to it via TAN.

Alkatran said:
Look at it this way: Gravity is pushing down, so the "down" part of your triangle is going to be 9.8 * whateverthemasswas

Now, you just need to figure out at what point the force of tension in the cord towards the center equals the force of repulsion of the charges. Just remember that the upwards force of tension must always be 9.8 * mass, and that the force towards center will be proportional to it via TAN.
I understand what you're saying until the last sentence. I can't solve the 2-equation-2 unknowns system since I have 3 unknowns.

[tex]\frac{\sin^{3}\theta}{\cos\theta}=tan\theta(1-\cos^{2}\theta)=[/tex]
[tex]tan\theta(1-\frac{1}{\frac{1}{\cos^{2}\theta}})=tan\theta(1-\frac{1}{tan^{2}\theta+1})=[/tex]
[tex]\frac{tan^{3}\theta}{tan^{2}\theta+1}[/tex]

let's assume the mass is 1, for simplicity. The angle, theta, is the angle between the center line and the rope. (x is opposite, y is adjacent)
Rope (tension):
Fy = 9.8
Fx = Fy * tan(theta) = 9.8 * tan(theta)

Charges:
Distance = x (the opposite of the triangle) = .2 * sin(theta)
Fx = charge^2/distance^2 = (1.5*10^-8)^2/(.2*sin(theta))^2
tan(theta) = 2.25*10^-14 / 4*sin(theta)^2

sin(theta)^3/cos(theta) = 2.25*10^-14/4

Looks like we need some trig identites... you were right. My mistake

Anyone? I'm really stumped.

Pleeeeeease, it's due tomorrow and I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I punched the equation into my TI-89 and it solved it. But that was using the 1 kg mass, etc...

I won't post the solution since I don't know the work.

Is it possible the text is simply asking for T in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex] without actually having to specify the value of [itex]\theta[/itex]?

deltabourne said:
I have no idea why I can't do it.. I must have done it a million times before:

Two cork balls of mass .2g hang from the same support point by massless insulating threads of length 20cm. A total positive charge of 3.0x10^-8 C is added to the system. Half of this charge is taken up by each balls, and the balls spread apart to a new equilibrium position. (There is a value of theta in the diagram, which looks roughly like: /\ (each line holds a ball with a charge). Theta is between one of those lines and a line down the middle, so between /| or |\

Find the tension in the threads.

Now I get
Fx = Tsin(theta) - Fq = 0
Fy = Tcos(theta) - mg = 0

I don't know how to solve it from there - to find Fq I need r, which is hard to find since it involves theta (I think). And I can't solve out for T because there is a sin and cosine function.

There must be an easier way to solve this - what am I missing?

No, this is not an easy problem and you need to know Coulomb's Law.
[tex]F_q=kq^2/(2Lsin\theta )^2 [/tex]
[tex]k = 9 \cdot 10^9 Nm^2/C^2[/tex]
[tex]tan(\theta) = \frac{kq^2}{4L^2mgsin^2(\theta)}[/tex]
[tex] \rightarrow \frac{sin^3(\theta)}{cos(\theta)}=\frac{kq^2}{4L^2mg}=0.02583[/tex]

You can solve it numerically. [tex]\theta\sim 17^o[/tex]

ehild

Try taking moment around the tied end. It should be easier as u know the length of the string.

Related to Two cork balls of mass .2g hang physics problem

1. How do you calculate the tension in the string holding the cork balls?

The tension in the string can be calculated using the equation T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the cork balls, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. In this case, since the mass of each cork ball is 0.2g, the tension in the string would be 0.4g.

2. Why do the cork balls hang at rest?

The cork balls hang at rest because the tension in the string holding them is equal to the weight of the cork balls. This creates a state of equilibrium where the forces acting on the cork balls are balanced, causing them to remain motionless.

3. How does the length of the string affect the physics of this problem?

The length of the string affects the tension and the angle at which the cork balls hang. The longer the string, the greater the tension and the smaller the angle. This is because a longer string means a longer distance for the weight of the cork balls to act on, resulting in a greater force and smaller angle.

4. What would happen if the mass of the cork balls was increased?

If the mass of the cork balls was increased, the tension in the string would also increase. This is because the weight of the cork balls is directly proportional to the tension in the string. As a result, the cork balls would hang at a lower angle and the tension in the string would be greater.

5. How does the value of gravity affect this problem?

The value of gravity, denoted as 'g', affects this problem as it is a factor in the calculation of tension in the string. The greater the value of g, the greater the tension in the string. Additionally, the angle at which the cork balls hang would also be affected, as a greater value of g would result in a steeper angle.