Two conducting planes, one grounded one has a surface charge

In summary, the problem involves two planes - one with a surface charge sigma lying in the x-z plane at y=0, and another grounded plane parallel to it at y=a. The question asks for the electric field just above the bottom plane and the potential between the two planes. The relevant equations are the discontinuity equation for electric field and the equation for potential. The electric field just above or below an infinite plane is sigma over two epsilon naught, and this applies to both planes in this problem. However, there is some confusion about the charge density on the bottom plane and whether it is a conductor or not.
SU403RUNFAST

Homework Statement

The plane with surface charge sigma lies in x-z plane at y=0, parallel to it at y=a there is a grounded plane. What is the field just above the bottom plane, find the potential between the planes

Homework Equations

discontinuity E=sigma/epsilon, V=Qd/Aepsilon take the gradient I can find V, what is E

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for an infinite plane just above or below the E field is sigma over epsilon naught. The sigma in this question on the top plane is sigmacos(lambdax) so it depends on x, is sinusoidal. is E sigma/epsilon and i just plug in the sigma given? Or do i do the method of images

Physics news on Phys.org
SU403RUNFAST said:

Homework Statement

The plane with surface charge sigma lies in x-z plane at y=0, parallel to it at y=a there is a grounded plane. What is the field just above the bottom plane, find the potential between the planes

Homework Equations

discontinuity E=sigma/epsilon, V=Qd/Aepsilon take the gradient I can find V, what is E

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for an infinite plane just above or below the E field is sigma over epsilon naught. The sigma in this question on the top plane is sigmacos(lambdax) so it depends on x, is sinusoidal. is E sigma/epsilon and i just plug in the sigma given? Or do i do the method of images
Isn't the field just above or below an infinite plane sigma over two epsilon naught?

Gauss says E * a is sigma*a over epsilon naught. But we have to close the pillbox on both sides of the sheet, so E * a is actually 2Ea. The sigma*a/(2a*eps0) = E, and the field is sig over two E naught. Outside a conductor the two would drop out, I believe. But if it's just a sheet...

SU403RUNFAST said:
I know that for an infinite plane just above or below the E field is sigma over epsilon naught.
Yes, at any point just outside the surface of any conductor, the electric field is perpendicular to the surface and has a magnitude ##|E| = |\sigma|/\epsilon_0## (assuming electrostatic conditions).

The sigma in this question on the top plane is sigmacos(lambdax) so it depends on x, is sinusoidal. is E sigma/epsilon and i just plug in the sigma given?

Did you mean to say that this is ##\sigma## on the top surface of the plane at ##y = 0##? If so, I would agree.

EDIT: However, I don't think the bottom plane can have such a space-varying charge density if the plane is a conductor. Are you sure both planes are conductors? Also, are they infinite planes?

Last edited:

Related to Two conducting planes, one grounded one has a surface charge

1. What is the concept of "two conducting planes"?

The concept of "two conducting planes" refers to two parallel planes made of conductive material, such as metal, that can carry electric charges. These planes can be considered as infinite in size and are often used in physics experiments and calculations.

2. What does it mean for one of the planes to be "grounded"?

A grounded plane is connected to the Earth or a large conducting body, allowing any excess charges on the plane to be neutralized. This ensures that the potential of the grounded plane remains constant and does not contribute to any electric fields in the system.

3. How does the surface charge affect the electric field between the two planes?

The surface charge on the planes creates an electric field between them, which can be calculated using the formula E = σ/ε, where σ is the surface charge density and ε is the permittivity of the material between the planes. The direction and strength of the electric field depend on the signs and magnitudes of the charges on the planes.

4. Can we determine the potential difference between the two planes?

Yes, the potential difference between the two planes can be calculated using the formula V = Ed, where V is the potential difference, E is the electric field, and d is the distance between the planes. This potential difference is equal to the work done per unit charge in moving from one plane to the other.

5. What are some real-life applications of two conducting planes with surface charge?

Two conducting planes with surface charge are commonly used in capacitors, which are components in electronic circuits that can store and release electrical energy. They are also used in electrostatic precipitators, which remove particles from industrial exhaust gases, and in particle accelerators, which study the behavior of subatomic particles.