Two concentric conducting spherical shells, find outer Q

In summary: That makes sense, in lecture my instructor wasn't very clear about how conductors worked, but it makes sense now. Thank you again for your help, I greatly appreciate it.
mattz205

Homework Statement

Two concentric conducting spherical shells produce a radially outward electric field of magnitude 49,000 N/C at a point 4.10 m from the center of the shells. The outer surface of the larger shell has a radius of 3.75 m. If the inner shell contains an excess charge of -5.30 μC, find the amount of charge on the outer surface of the larger shell. (k

Homework Equations

closed surface int(E dot dA) = Q encl/epsilon0 (gauss's law)

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the given electric field into gauss's law in the form E=Q encl/ 4pir^2 epsilon0, with Q encl= q(inner)+ q(outer) and solved for q(outer) and arrived at ~ 96.9 μC but that is wrong according to MP (my homework site)

any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mattz205 said:

Homework Statement

Two concentric conducting spherical shells produce a radially outward electric field of magnitude 49,000 N/C at a point 4.10 m from the center of the shells. The outer surface of the larger shell has a radius of 3.75 m. If the inner shell contains an excess charge of -5.30 μC, find the amount of charge on the outer surface of the larger shell. (k

Homework Equations

closed surface int(E dot dA) = Q encl/epsilon0 (gauss's law)

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the given magnetic field into gauss's law in the form E=Q encl/ 4pir^2 epsilon0, with Q encl= q(inner)+ q(outer) and solved for q(outer) and arrived at ~ 96.9 μC but that is wrong according to MP (my homework site)

any help would be greatly appreciated
First of all it's not a magnetic field (I suppose that was a typo).

How much charge is there on the inner surface of the outer larger shell?

SammyS said:
First of all it's not a magnetic field (I suppose that was a typo).

How much charge is there on the inner surface of the outer larger shell?

Yes, sorry about that i meant electric field, and wouldn't the charge on the inner surface of the outer shell just be the negative of the outer? If that's not it then I'm not entirely sure.

mattz205 said:
Yes, sorry about that i meant electric field, and wouldn't the charge on the inner surface of the outer shell just be the negative of the outer? If that's not it then I'm not entirely sure.
No , not necessarily . This would be true if the outer shell itself had no excess charge .

I couldn't understand your solution - have you equated electric field to kq/r2 (where q is charge on the outer surface of the outer sphere ) ?

mattz205 said:
The charge on the inner surface of the outer shell would just be the negative of the outer shell only if the outer shell has a net charge of zero. That's not stated anywhere. Besides if that was true, then the total charge inside the Gaussian surface (the closed surface you mention) would have to be -5.30 μC .

Consider a Gaussian surface totally embedded in the conducting material of the large sphere. What's the total charge enclosed by this surface ?

SammyS said:
The charge on the inner surface of the outer shell would just be the negative of the outer shell only if the outer shell has a net charge of zero. That's not stated anywhere. Besides if that was true, then the total charge inside the Gaussian surface (the closed surface you mention) would have to be -5.30 μC .

Consider a Gaussian surface totally embedded in the conducting material of the large sphere. What's the total charge enclosed by this surface ?

the electric field inside a conductor is always zero according to my lecture... and the charge enclosed there would be the -5.3 + whatever the inner surface of the conductor is, which i don't know, nor do i know how to find it...

mattz205 said:
the electric field inside a conductor is always zero according to my lecture... and the charge enclosed there would be the -5.3 + whatever the inner surface of the conductor is, which i don't know, nor do i know how to find it...
If the electric field is zero, then the flux through that Gaussian surface is zero. That tells you total charge enclosed is ___ .

Likes Pyrus
SammyS said:
If the electric field is zero, then the flux through that Gaussian surface is zero. That tells you total charge enclosed is ___ .

0? would that make the charge on the inside of the conductor +5.3?

I tried this by using E=V/r. I found potential at point at distance 4.1 m.
V=Er => V=20900 V
Then applying V= 1/(4πε) * {q/4.1 + Q/4.1}
V=(9*10^9 )[-5.3/4.1 + Q/4.1]*10^-6

Solving it I also got answer 96.6μC

Pyrus said:
I tried this by using E=V/r. I found potential at point at distance 4.1 m.
V=Er => V=20900 V
Then applying V= 1/(4πε) * {q/4.1 + Q/4.1}
V=(9*10^9 )[-5.3/4.1 + Q/4.1]*10^-6

Solving it I also got answer 96.6μC

i tried that method too and got the same answer as i did using the other method, the answer is wrong regardless though

SammyS said:

ok, ok, i got it, thank you very much for your help!

So simple and I got it too complex...

mattz205 said:
0? would that make the charge on the inside of the conductor +5.3?
Yes.
mattz205 said:
ok, ok, i got it, thank you very much for your help!
Notice that your final answer is independent of the amount of charge on the inner sphere. The conductor effectively shields the region outside of the sphere from the region inside the sphere.

SammyS said:
Notice that your final answer is independent of the amount of charge on the inner sphere. The conductor effectively shields the region outside of the sphere from the region inside the sphere.

That makes sense, in lecture my instructor wasn't very clear about how conductors worked, but it makes sense now. Thnk you again for your help, i greatly appreciate it.

Related to Two concentric conducting spherical shells, find outer Q

1. What is the purpose of finding the outer charge (Q) in two concentric conducting spherical shells?

The outer charge (Q) in two concentric conducting spherical shells is a measure of the amount of charge present on the outer shell. It is important to find this charge as it helps in understanding the overall distribution of charge between the two shells and their respective electric fields.

2. What factors affect the value of the outer charge (Q) in two concentric conducting spherical shells?

The value of the outer charge (Q) in two concentric conducting spherical shells is affected by the charge present on the inner shell, the distance between the two shells, and the dielectric constant of the material between the shells. These factors determine the electric potential and thus, the charge distribution between the two shells.

3. How is the outer charge (Q) in two concentric conducting spherical shells calculated?

The outer charge (Q) in two concentric conducting spherical shells can be calculated using the equation Q = (V0 * C)/(1 + C), where Q is the outer charge, V0 is the charge on the inner shell, and C is the ratio of the radius of the inner shell to the radius of the outer shell.

4. What is the relationship between the outer charge (Q) and the electric potential in two concentric conducting spherical shells?

In two concentric conducting spherical shells, the outer charge (Q) is directly proportional to the electric potential. This means that as the outer charge increases, the electric potential also increases. This relationship is described by the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point where the potential is measured.

5. How does the presence of the outer charge (Q) in two concentric conducting spherical shells affect the electric field between the shells?

The presence of the outer charge (Q) in two concentric conducting spherical shells creates an electric field between the shells. This electric field is directed from the inner shell towards the outer shell and its strength is directly proportional to the charge on the outer shell. The electric field also affects the potential difference between the two shells, as it is related to the electric potential by the equation E = -dV/dr.