Two cars meeting - acceleration?

In summary, the problem involves two cars, one traveling at a constant speed of 30 m/s and the other starting from rest and accelerating at a constant rate. The goal is for the two cars to meet at the next exit, which is 2.8 km away. The correct acceleration for the second car to achieve this is .161 m/s^2, which can be found by using the kinematic equations and converting the distance to meters. However, the work posted by the person asking for help was incorrect, as they used the average speed instead of the final speed for the car starting at rest. By using the correct final speed of 60 m/s, the answer can be found to be .161 m/s^2.
Caitlin.Lolz.
A car is traveling at a constant speed of 30 m/s on a highway. At the instant this car passes an entrance ramp, a second car enters the highway from the ramp. The second car starts from rest and has a constant acceleration. What acceleration must it maintain, so that the two cars meet for the first time at the next exit, which is 2.8 km away?

I have tried this problem many different ways and keep on coming up with .161 m/s^2. I made sure to convert the km to m, but the answer is still wrong!

If anyone can help me see what I am doing wrong, that would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Caitlin.Lolz.,

Caitlin.Lolz. said:
A car is traveling at a constant speed of 30 m/s on a highway. At the instant this car passes an entrance ramp, a second car enters the highway from the ramp. The second car starts from rest and has a constant acceleration. What acceleration must it maintain, so that the two cars meet for the first time at the next exit, which is 2.8 km away?

I have tried this problem many different ways and keep on coming up with .161 m/s^2. I made sure to convert the km to m, but the answer is still wrong!

If anyone can help me see what I am doing wrong, that would be great!

How did you come up with that answer? What was your procedure, what equations did you use, and what numbers did you use in the equations?

If you want a helper to see what you are doing wrong, it's a good idea to post your work.

How long did you find that it takes for the two cars to meet up? What is the kinematic equation you set up to describe the distance covered by the car starting at rest at the ramp?

the work I did was:

Vo = 0 m/s
d = 2.8 km (or 2800 m)
V = 30 m/s

d=.5(Vo+V)t
2800 = .5 (0 + 30) t
t = 186.67 seconds

d= Vo + .5 at^2
2800 = 0 + .5 (186.67)^2a
a = .161 m/s^2

Caitlin.Lolz. said:
the work I did was:

Vo = 0 m/s
d = 2.8 km (or 2800 m)
V = 30 m/s

d=.5(Vo+V)t
2800 = .5 (0 + 30) t
t = 186.67 seconds

d= Vo + .5 at^2
2800 = 0 + .5 (186.67)^2a
a = .161 m/s^2

If the car starting from rest is going to catch the moving car by the next exit, then how much time does it have to do that?

Isn't it the distance to the next exit divided by the constant speed of the moving car and not the average speed of the car accelerating from rest?

Or put another way the average speed of the car starting at rest must be the speed of the car initially in motion. It must average the same speed (30m/s). To do that it's final speed will need to be 60m/s, not the 30m/s that you used.

Last edited:

Related to Two cars meeting - acceleration?

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is measured in units of distance per time squared, such as meters per second squared (m/s²).

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The equation for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the average rate of change of an object's velocity over a specific time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time.

How does acceleration affect the motion of two cars meeting?

Acceleration determines how quickly the two cars will change their velocity while approaching each other. If both cars have the same acceleration, they will meet at a constant rate. However, if one car has a greater acceleration, it will catch up to the other car and overtake it.

What are some factors that can affect the acceleration of two cars meeting?

The acceleration of two cars meeting can be affected by factors such as the mass and speed of the cars, the friction of the road surface, and external forces such as air resistance. Additionally, the angle at which the cars are meeting can also impact their acceleration.