Two cars at same speed, one passes the other

• Thread starter MissJewels
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars Speed
In summary, the question involves a car and a truck initially moving in the same direction at different speeds and with a given distance between them. The car accelerates and eventually overtakes the truck, then falls back behind it. The task is to find the distance traveled by the truck in that time and the value of acceleration for the truck and car to have a 5 m/s difference in velocity when they intersect. The equations used are distance = initial velocity * time + 1/2 * acceleration * time^2 and velocity = initial velocity + acceleration * time. The correct answers are 140m for part a) and a(car) > 1.67m/s^2 for part b).
MissJewels

Homework Statement

This question has gotten me stuck. I translated it from french to english so pardon that... I just get lost when you include two objects in physics.

A car and a truck move initially in the same direction at 20 m / s, the truck with 38m ahead. The car accelerates at a constant rate of 2m / s ^ 2 exceeds the truck, and falls back into the right lane when it is 11m in front of the truck.
a) How far has the truck traveled in that time?
b) For what value of constant acceleration of the truck it and the car will they have a velocity that differs by only 5 m / s when they intersect? It is assumed that the truck begins to accelerate when a lead of 38m on the car.

Homework Equations

d= Vi*t + (0,5)at^2
d= distance of the car

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried
But I keep getting negative answers! Someone give me a boost or help me start it! Please!

answers:
a) 140m
b) a(car) > 1,67 > s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer for part a. For part b you know that when they intersect the position (x value) for both the car and truck are equal (xcar=xtruck) where you can apply this equation for both the car and truck

[tex]
x = x_0 +v_0t+\frac{1}{2}at^2
[/tex]

You also know that at this point (same t) the velocities differ by 5m/s (vcar-vtruck = 5m/s) where you can apply this equation for both the car and truck

[tex]
v = v_0 +at
[/tex]

This should give you two equations and two unknowns (t and a).

Thanks! But, I am still stuck on a) though... I can't see how i can mesure the distance pursued bby the truck..

I solved for the time it took for the car to get 11m in front of the truck and then put that into the equation for the truck (not accelerating xtruck = xo + vot). I also got 140m, so unless I'm wrong you have the right answer.

I didnt find those answers, those are the correct answers provided by my book.

I just plugged in these in the equation for a) and found the time to catch up with the truck, i think...:
d = Vi*t + (0,5)at^2
38 = 20t + (0,5)2t^2

but i don't think that's right, because the truck is always moving forward, not staying at 38m...

I got some help from a tutor and Seems I've been a tad blind, thank you for helping, means a lot!

Related to Two cars at same speed, one passes the other

1. How does the passing car's speed compare to the other car?

The passing car's speed is equal to the other car's speed since they are both traveling at the same speed.

2. What factors can affect the passing of one car over the other at the same speed?

The only factor that can affect the passing of one car over the other at the same speed is the distance between the two cars. If there is enough space for the passing car to change lanes and pass the other car, then the passing will be successful.

3. Can the passing car maintain its speed while passing the other car?

Yes, the passing car can maintain its speed while passing the other car. As long as the passing car continues to travel at the same speed, it will eventually pass the other car.

4. Is the passing car's speed affected by the other car's speed?

No, the passing car's speed is not affected by the other car's speed. As long as both cars are traveling at the same speed, the passing car will be able to pass the other car.

5. What happens if both cars are traveling at different speeds?

If both cars are traveling at different speeds, the passing car will eventually overtake the other car if it is traveling at a faster speed. However, if the other car is traveling at a significantly faster speed, the passing car may not be able to overtake it.