Two cars approaching an intersection

In summary, Car A is 3.42km away from the intersection, and Car B is 1.75km away from the intersection.
inner08
Hi,

I have this problem that I can't seem to figure out. I'm taking physics in French but I will try my best to translate it.

At an instant, two cars, A and B, are 10km away from an intersection of two perpendicular roads. Car A is moving towards the East and has a speed of 30km/h whereas car B is moving towards the North at 50km/h (both of them are heading towards the intersection). Determine (a) the distance at the moment where they are the closest to one another; (b) where A and B are located when the distance is minimal?

I already have the answers but I just can't seem to figure out how to get to it.

(a) = 3.42km
(b) = B is 1.75km N and A is 2.95km W of the intersection

Any idea on how to figure this out? I was thinking to use the pythagorean theorem to find the velocity [ (30^2 + 50^2)^1/2 = 58km/h ] and then use that to find the time or something like that. I guess I don't know how to approach this type of problem. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you express the distance from Car A to the intersection as:
D_A = 10 - 30*t (where 30*t is the distance traveled by Car A as it is starting from the point of 10km away from the intersection)

And then express the distance from Car B to the intersection in a similar manner:
D_B = 10 - 50*t

Then by pythagoras expression of these two distances gives the distance between Car A and Car B. One may either use calculus to solve for t, then substitute back in for D, or use properties of parabolic functions (in terms of t) to determine the lowest value of D.

Thanks a bunch, I didn't think of doing it that way. :)

Related to Two cars approaching an intersection

1. What factors affect the outcome of two cars approaching an intersection?

The outcome of two cars approaching an intersection is affected by several factors, such as the speed and direction of each car, the traffic signals, and the road conditions. The behavior of the drivers, such as their reaction time and decision-making skills, can also play a significant role in the outcome.

2. How do traffic signals control the flow of two cars approaching an intersection?

Traffic signals use a system of red, yellow, and green lights to control the flow of traffic at an intersection. When two cars approach an intersection, the traffic signals will determine which car has the right of way based on the color of the light. The red light indicates that both cars must come to a complete stop, while the green light allows one car to proceed while the other must wait.

3. What is the safest way for two cars to approach an intersection?

The safest way for two cars to approach an intersection is to follow the rules of the road and pay attention to traffic signals. Both drivers should slow down and come to a complete stop at a red light, and proceed with caution when the light turns green. It is also essential for drivers to communicate with each other through turn signals or hand gestures to avoid any potential accidents.

4. How can drivers avoid collisions when two cars are approaching an intersection?

Drivers can avoid collisions when two cars are approaching an intersection by practicing defensive driving techniques. This includes maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles, anticipating the actions of other drivers, and being aware of potential hazards, such as pedestrians or cyclists. It is also crucial for drivers to follow the speed limit and avoid distracted driving, such as texting or eating while behind the wheel.

5. What should drivers do if they approach an intersection without traffic signals?

If drivers approach an intersection without traffic signals, they should follow the rules of right of way. This means that the driver on the right has the right of way, and the driver on the left must yield. If both cars approach the intersection at the same time, the driver making a turn should yield to the driver going straight. It is also essential for drivers to communicate with each other through hand signals or eye contact to ensure safe navigation through the intersection.