Two capacitors (different capacitance and innitial charge) in a series circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with two capacitors and a resistor connected in series. The first experiment involves connecting the positive plate of one capacitor to the negative plate of the other, and the second experiment involves connecting the negative plates of both capacitors. Expressions for the time dependence of the current and the energy dissipated in the resistor are derived for both cases. The equivalent capacitance and time constant of the circuit are also discussed.
KaiserBrandon

Homework Statement

Two capacitors C1 and C2 and a resistor R are all connected in series. At t=0, a
charge Q1 resides on C1 and a charge Q2 on C2 (Q1 > Q2; C1 < C2), and the positive plate
on C2 is connected to the negative plate on C1.

a) In a first experiment, the positive plate on C2 is connected to the negative plate on
C1. Derive an expression for the time dependence of the current I(t) which flows
in the circuit. Indicate the direction of this current on a circuit diagram, and
include the sign of the charges on the plates on each of the capacitors at t=0.

b) The same circuit is used for a second experiment, with the same initial charges,
except that in this case the negative plate of C2 is connected to the negative plate
on C1. All three components are otherwise still connected in series as before.
Derive an expression for I(t), and indicate the direction of the current on a second
diagram (again indicate the sign of initial charge on each capacitor on this
diagram).

c) Hence calculate the energy dissipated in the resistor in each case.

Homework Equations

V = IR

V=Q/C for a capacitor

The Attempt at a Solution

ok, I'm stuck on the first part. firstly, the voltage gain across the two capacitors is:

[itex]V = \frac{Q_{1}(t)}{C_{1}} + \frac{Q_{2}(t)}{C_{2}}[/itex]

And since V = IR, we have:

[itex] I = \frac{1}{R}(\frac{Q_{1}(t)}{C_{1}} + \frac{Q_{2}(t)}{C_{2}})[/itex]

and the capacitors must each lose the same amount of charge per unit time:

[itex]\frac{dQ_{1}(t)}{dt} = \frac{dQ_{2}(t)}{dt} = -I [/itex]

the current is negative since the charges are decreasing. So, we have:

[itex]\frac{dQ_{1}(t)}{dt} = \frac{dQ_{2}(t)}{dt} = \frac{-1}{R}(\frac{Q_{1}(t)}{C_{1}} + \frac{Q_{2}(t)}{c_{2}})[/itex]

And this is where I'm stuck. I'm not entirely sure how to go about evaluating this for Q1 and Q2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the initial potential that the resistor will see: the sum of the two capacitor voltages as you've shown. What initial current must flow then?

The circuit consists of a resistor and two capacitors in series. What's the equivalent capacitance? How about the circuit's time constant?

What can you do with an initial current and the time constant?

Related to Two capacitors (different capacitance and innitial charge) in a series circuit

1. What happens to the overall capacitance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the overall capacitance is decreased compared to each individual capacitor. This is because the capacitors share the same voltage, and therefore, the total charge is divided between them, resulting in a smaller overall capacitance.

2. How does the initial charge on each capacitor affect the total charge in a series circuit?

The initial charge on each capacitor will determine the total charge in the circuit. The total charge will be equal to the sum of the initial charges on each capacitor. For example, if one capacitor has an initial charge of 10 coulombs and the other has an initial charge of 5 coulombs, the total charge in the circuit will be 15 coulombs.

3. What is the formula for calculating the total capacitance in a series circuit?

The total capacitance in a series circuit can be calculated using the formula 1/Ct = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ..., where Ct is the total capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances of each capacitor.

4. How does the voltage distribution differ in a series circuit compared to a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided between each capacitor, with the sum of the voltages across each capacitor equal to the total voltage of the circuit. In a parallel circuit, each capacitor receives the same voltage as the total voltage of the circuit.

5. What happens to the total energy stored in a series circuit compared to a parallel circuit?

The total energy stored in a series circuit is less than the total energy stored in a parallel circuit. This is because the energy stored in a capacitor is proportional to its capacitance, and in a series circuit, the overall capacitance is smaller compared to a parallel circuit.