Question about the Stern-Gerlach Expirement

In summary, the dipole magnetic moment of silver atoms is affected by a changing B-field in the vertical direction, as described by the equation Fz=μz(dB/dz). This means that a force is exerted on the atoms, causing deflection when the beam is cutting across the B-field perpendicularly. This interaction is different from that of electric charges and E-fields.
frankR
If Fz changes according to &muzdB/dz and the silver atoms are collimated into a beam how does the dipole magnetic moment of the atoms see and change in the B-field if the beam is cutting across the B-field perpendicularly?

How does a changing B-field, in the verticle direction affect the Ag atoms? It seems to me the B-field wouldn't affect the atoms.

I hope I'm making sense, let me know if you need me to restate to be clearer, I hope other have faced this question as I am.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by frankR
If Fz changes according to &muzdB/dz and the silver atoms are collimated into a beam how does the dipole magnetic moment of the atoms see and change in the B-field if the beam is cutting across the B-field perpendicularly?

I think you just answered your own question. The force on the atom is, as you say, Fz=μz(dB/dz). All of those quantities are nonzero, so there is a force.

How does a changing B-field, in the verticle direction affect the Ag atoms? It seems to me the B-field wouldn't affect the atoms.

I hope I'm making sense, let me know if you need me to restate to be clearer, I hope other have faced this question as I am.

I'm not sure of why you are having trouble, so I think you will have to explain.

I'll have to think about it further...

Why does the B-field need to change in the z direction to impart a deflection on the Ag atoms? I haven't quite grasped that concept, maybe my B-field knowledge is a little rusty?

Originally posted by frankR
Why does the B-field need to change in the z direction to impart a deflection on the Ag atoms?

That's how B-fields interact with dipole moments. I think part of your difficulty here might be that you expect magnetic dipoles and B-fields to interact in the same way as electric charges and E-fields, which is not the case.

What is the Stern-Gerlach Experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a physics experiment that was first conducted in 1922 by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach. It involves passing a beam of particles, usually atoms or subatomic particles, through a magnetic field and observing their deflection.

What was the purpose of the Stern-Gerlach Experiment?

The purpose of the Stern-Gerlach experiment was to test the theory of quantum mechanics, specifically the concept of spin. The experiment showed that particles have an intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, that can only have certain discrete values.

What were the results of the Stern-Gerlach Experiment?

The results of the Stern-Gerlach experiment were unexpected and groundbreaking. The experiment showed that particles with a magnetic moment have two possible spin orientations, either up or down, and the resulting deflection in the magnetic field was always in one of these two directions.

How did the Stern-Gerlach Experiment contribute to our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment provided strong evidence for the existence of quantum spin and demonstrated that particles have discrete energy levels. This helped to validate the theory of quantum mechanics and led to further developments in our understanding of the microscopic world.

What practical applications does the Stern-Gerlach Experiment have?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment has many practical applications, including the development of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology and the study of spintronics, which is the use of electron spin for information processing in electronic devices.