Two blocks stacked centripetal motion

In summary, two masses (2.0kg and 5kg) are connected by a string of length 5.0m and swung around in a horizontal circle on a frictionless surface. The coefficient of static friction between the two masses is 0.30. The maximum speed of the masses can be calculated using the equation Fc=mv^2/r and the tension in the string can be determined by using the same equation with the mass of the bottom block (5kg). The rope pulls both blocks inward along its length and in the same strength ratio. In order for the top block to stay on the circular path, friction must also be applied to it in the same direction as the rope. Only gravity and the rope are
thatoneguy6531

Homework Statement

Mass 1(2.0kg) sits on top of mass 2(5 kg), which rests on a frictionless surface. The coefficient of static friction between mass 1 and 2 is 0.30. A string of length 5.0m is tied to mass 2, and both masses are swung around in a horizontal circle. Calculate a) the max speed of the masses and b) the tension in the string.

Homework Equations

Fc=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct answer to a) by assuming static friction was the centripetal force but I don't understand why it is. Wouldn't the direction of the static friction be perpendicular to the rope to oppose mass 1 from falling of mass 2 as they're swung? And for b) I don't know what to do because if I just use T as the centripetal force for mass 2 I don't have its mass so I can't calculate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
In this scenario, envision that the blocks' speed around the circle increases very gradually,
so that the rope pulls "essentially" toward the center of the circular path; ignore air drag!

a) What ELSE might deflect the top block from straight-line path to circular path?
(nothing else touching it but bottom block, only gravity as field Force)
b) block #2 has 5kg mass. the rope is the only thing pulling the 2 blocks inward.

Wow. I feel like an idiot now... I didn't realize the masses were given even after typing that out. Thanks though.

by the way, recall that ropes always pull inward along their length;
a rope pulling bottom block in a straight line would also need friction applied to top block, pointing along the rope.
and in the same strength ratio.

By pointing along the rope do you mean in the outward direction?

same direction that the rope pulls:
the rope pulls the bottom block inward, right?
what pulls the top block inward? nothing touching it except bottom block, by friction.

Ok thanks.

Related to Two blocks stacked centripetal motion

1. What is "Two blocks stacked centripetal motion"?

"Two blocks stacked centripetal motion" refers to the movement of two blocks stacked on top of each other, rotating around a central axis while maintaining a constant distance from the center.

2. What causes the two blocks to rotate in centripetal motion?

The two blocks rotate in centripetal motion due to the presence of a centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of rotation and keeps the blocks moving in a circular path.

3. How is the centripetal force calculated in this scenario?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the formula Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the blocks, v is the linear velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What factors affect the centripetal force in this situation?

The centripetal force is affected by the mass of the blocks, the velocity at which they are rotating, and the radius of the circular path. The greater these values are, the greater the centripetal force needed to maintain the motion.

5. How is "Two blocks stacked centripetal motion" relevant in real-world applications?

This scenario is relevant in various real-world situations, such as amusement park rides, centrifuges used in laboratories, and even planetary motion. It demonstrates the concept of centripetal force and its role in maintaining circular motion.