Two blocks sliding on top of each other

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coefficient of friction between two blocks placed on a table with no friction and subject to a force of 30N. The approach taken was to find the acceleration of the bottom block and then calculate the force needed to push the top block at that acceleration, considering it as friction. However, there is uncertainty about whether this is the correct approach as friction is typically considered a resistance rather than a force that can move an object. The speaker is seeking feedback on their solution and asks for it to be shown in order to determine its accuracy.
pharoh123
A 4 kg block is placed on top of a 8kg block, placed on a table with no friction,which is subject to force of 30N. What is the coefficient of friction needed between the two blocks so that the the top doesn't slide on the other one?

What i did was find the acceleration of the bottom block and then i found the force needed to push the top block at that acceleration. I considered that force the friction and found the coefficient. However, I don't think i got it right since i thought friction couldn't actually move an object and is only a resistance. So did i get right or not?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

pharoh123 said:
did i get right or not?

If you show your work, we can tell you. At the very least post your answer, but showing the entire work is better.

for your question. Your approach to finding the coefficient of friction is a valid one. However, you are correct in thinking that friction cannot actually move an object. Friction is a force that opposes motion, and in this case, it would act in the opposite direction of the applied force of 30N.

To find the coefficient of friction between the two blocks, you can use the formula μ = Ff/N, where μ is the coefficient of friction, Ff is the force of friction, and N is the normal force (in this case, the weight of the top block).

In this scenario, the force of friction would be equal to the applied force of 30N, as the blocks are not sliding and therefore the friction force is equal to the applied force. The normal force, or weight, of the top block would be 4kg multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), which is equal to 39.2N.

Therefore, the coefficient of friction would be μ = 30N/39.2N = 0.76. This means that for the top block to not slide on the bottom block, the coefficient of friction between them must be at least 0.76.

I hope this explanation helps. Keep up the good work in your scientific thinking and problem-solving!

Related to Two blocks sliding on top of each other

1. How does the coefficient of friction affect two blocks sliding on top of each other?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the frictional force between two surfaces. It determines the amount of resistance the blocks will experience as they slide against each other. A higher coefficient of friction means there will be more friction between the blocks, making it more difficult for them to slide.

2. What happens to the speed of the blocks as they slide on top of each other?

The speed of the blocks will gradually decrease over time due to the friction between them. This is because the frictional force acts in the opposite direction of the motion, causing a decrease in speed.

3. How does the mass of the blocks affect their motion?

The mass of the blocks has a direct impact on their motion. A heavier block will have a greater inertia, making it more difficult to move and slide on top of the other block. This can also affect the amount of friction between the blocks.

4. What is the relationship between the force applied and the acceleration of the blocks?

According to Newton's second law, the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to the blocks, the greater their acceleration will be.

5. Can the blocks eventually come to a stop on their own?

Yes, the blocks can eventually come to a stop on their own due to the effects of friction. As the blocks slide against each other, the frictional force will gradually slow them down until they come to a complete stop.