Two blocks on top of eachother with pulleys

In summary, the problem involved two blocks, with masses of 3.0 kg and 5.0 kg, respectively, sitting on a horizontal surface. The top block was pulled to the right with a force F, and the coefficient of static friction between all surfaces was 0.60, while the kinetic coefficient was 0.36. The minimum value of F needed to move the two blocks was determined by setting the acceleration to zero in the equations for the x-direction of both blocks. The resulting answer was 64. In the second part of the problem, where the force was increased by 10%, the tension was found using the new force value and then plugged into the equation for acceleration, resulting in a successful solution.
harrinj4

Homework Statement

A 3.0-kg block sits on top of a 5.0-kg block which is on a horizontal surface. The 5.0-kg block is pulled to the right with a force F. The coefficient of static friction between all surfaces is 0.60 and the kinetic coefficient is 0.36.

a)What is the minimum value of F needed to move the two blocks?
b)If the force is 10% greater than your answer for (a), what is the acceleration of each block?

Homework Equations

Sum of forces = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Forces acting on the bottom box are normal force up the y axis, normal force from the top box and mg going down the y axis. On the x axis, the F we need to find is positive and the friction of 1 on 2, the kinetic friction on the ground and the tension of the rope is going the opposite way. For the box on top, there is normal force up y axis, mg down, friction of 2 on 1 going the positive x direction and tension going the other way.

I know for the top box that n=mg so n =3(9.8) regarding the y axis
for the x axis:
F=ma
Friction of 2 on 1 = u*n = .6(3*9.8) = 17.64 so
17.64 - T = -3a

Then for the bottom box I know that :
n2-mg-n1= 0
n2 = 5(9.8)+3(9.8)
so n2=78.4

for the x direction:
F-T-kinetic friction-Friction1on2 = ma
so F-T-28.224-17.64 = 5a

And now I'm stuck!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi harrinj4,

harrinj4 said:

Homework Statement

A 3.0-kg block sits on top of a 5.0-kg block which is on a horizontal surface. The 5.0-kg block is pulled to the right with a force F. The coefficient of static friction between all surfaces is 0.60 and the kinetic coefficient is 0.36.

a)What is the minimum value of F needed to move the two blocks?
b)If the force is 10% greater than your answer for (a), what is the acceleration of each block?

Homework Equations

Sum of forces = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Forces acting on the bottom box are normal force up the y axis, normal force from the top box and mg going down the y axis. On the x axis, the F we need to find is positive and the friction of 1 on 2, the kinetic friction on the ground and the tension of the rope is going the opposite way. For the box on top, there is normal force up y axis, mg down, friction of 2 on 1 going the positive x direction and tension going the other way.

I know for the top box that n=mg so n =3(9.8) regarding the y axis
for the x axis:
F=ma
Friction of 2 on 1 = u*n = .6(3*9.8) = 17.64 so
17.64 - T = -3a

The minimum force that just starts the blocks moving, is also the maximum force that you can apply and not have the blocks move. So what is the acceleration a for the x-equations of your two blocks?

alphysicist said:
Hi harrinj4,

The minimum force that just starts the blocks moving, is also the maximum force that you can apply and not have the blocks move. So what is the acceleration a for the x-equations of your two blocks?

Zero?

So from there could I find T, then plug it in the other equation to find F, make acceleration zero again?

harrinj4 said:
Zero?

So from there could I find T, then plug it in the other equation to find F, make acceleration zero again?

That's right; the acceleration is zero for both blocks in part a, so you have two equations with two unknowns (F and T) and so can solve for F.

alphysicist said:
That's right; the acceleration is zero for both blocks in part a, so you have two equations with two unknowns (F and T) and so can solve for F.

See I thought that, but I get 64 as the answer and it's wrong!

Hmm, see any other things I did wrong? something seems wrong...

This is due at five! SHITT...

harrinj4 said:
See I thought that, but I get 64 as the answer and it's wrong!

Hmm, see any other things I did wrong? something seems wrong...

In your equation for the bottom block, you are using kinetic friction for the friction from the ground. However, it is not moving (yet), so this should be static friction.

alphysicist said:
In your equation for the bottom block, you are using kinetic friction for the friction from the ground. However, it is not moving (yet), so this should be static friction.

ha just figured that out a minute ago and got it right. So now for the second part:

Take the force and multiply it by 1.1 (adding ten percent), change all the frictions to kinetic frictions, and then?

harrinj4 said:
ha just figured that out a minute ago and got it right. So now for the second part:

Take the force and multiply it by 1.1 (adding ten percent), change all the frictions to kinetic frictions, and then?

Did the work and found tension then put tension into find acceleration and it worked. Thanks for help before tho!
!

harrinj4 said:
Did the work and found tension then put tension into find acceleration and it worked. Thanks for help before tho!
!

Perfect! (and I'm glad to help!)

Related to Two blocks on top of eachother with pulleys

1. How do pulleys affect the movement of two blocks stacked on top of each other?

Pulleys can make it easier to lift the top block by distributing the weight between multiple ropes or cables. This allows for a smaller force to be applied to lift the top block.

2. What is the purpose of using two blocks with pulleys?

The use of two blocks with pulleys allows for a mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift heavier loads. It also allows for a change in the direction of the force applied.

3. Can the position of the pulleys affect the movement of the two blocks?

Yes, the position of the pulleys can affect the direction and speed of the movement of the two blocks. Different configurations of pulleys can create different mechanical advantages.

4. Are there any limitations to using pulleys with two blocks stacked on top of each other?

One limitation is that the pulleys must be strong enough to support the weight of the blocks. Additionally, the friction in the pulley system can reduce the mechanical advantage and make it more difficult to lift the top block.

5. How can the use of pulleys with two blocks be applied in real-world situations?

Pulleys are commonly used in construction and engineering projects to lift heavy materials. They are also used in hoists and cranes for lifting and moving objects. In everyday life, pulleys can be found in exercise machines, elevators, and even window blinds.