Two blocks on top of each other

In summary: So far, I see only questions.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two blocks of different masses connected by a string and pulled at an angle with a certain tension. The problem also involves the coefficient of static friction between the two blocks and the lack of friction between one block and the floor. The first part of the problem asks about the direction of the frictional force on the top block, which is found to be to the left. The second part of the problem asks for the maximum tension the string can have to keep the blocks moving together, which requires analyzing the FBDs of both blocks and considering the forces acting on each block.
fishiiie
Hi guys, it's my first time posting here so please forgive me for anything wrong!

Homework Statement

A block of mass m = 0.570 kg rests on top of a block of mass M = 2.30 kg. A string
attached to the block of mass M is pulled so that its tension is T = 6.20 N at a 20 degree angle to
the horizontal. The blocks move together. The coefficient of static friction at
the surface between the blocks is μs = 0.43; there is no friction at the surface between
block M and the floor.

a) What is the direction of the frictional force being exerted on the top block of mass m?
Justify your answer.

b) The tension T is now increased - what is the maximum tension, Tmax, with which the string can be pulled such that the blocks continue to move together (i.e. that the block of
mass m does not start to slide on top of the block of mass M)?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
Fsmax ≤ μFn

The Attempt at a Solution

a) (Just getting some clarifications on this one to see if I did it right.)
I wrote that friction force should be directed to the left, since static friction (and kinetic friction) always opposes the direction of motion/acceleration.

b) So I'm just trying to draw FBDs for the two blocks and I'm getting confused just doing it. I can't even get the answer if I can't get the FBDs right, so please help me :(

FBDs:
Top block (m):
ƩFx: -Fs = ma
ƩFy: Fn = mg

Bottom block (M):
ƩFx: Tcos20 - Fs = Ma
ƩFy: Fn + Tsin20 = Mg

I'm assuming that both blocks have a normal force on them, but I'm not so sure because I'm getting very confused between normal force and contact force... (Newton's Third Law)

And I'm not sure about the frictional force between the two blocks in the FBDs.. Since it's acting on both blocks (because the friction is between the two blocks), it is included in both of the blocks' FBDs.. right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's tackle a) first. If the static friction opposed the motion of the top block, then what force set it in motion in the first place?

The tension in the string? I split the tension T into its components, Tx and Ty ... and I believe this force only acts on the bottom block, not the top.

fishiiie said:
I believe this force only acts on the bottom block, not the top.

If that is so, what set the top block in motion?

The acceleration, since the acceleration is the same for the two blocks.

I don't understand what you're trying to get at, voko.. >< I'm just trying to get the FBDs..

Acceleration is a consequence, it is not the cause. When an object begins to move, it will be accelerating just because it begins to move. But what makes an object move, or, more correctly, accelerate?

A force is required to accelerate an object. What forces act on the top block? Which of them makes it accelerate and stay together with the bottom block??

voko said:
Acceleration is a consequence, it is not the cause. When an object begins to move, it will be accelerating just because it begins to move. But what makes an object move, or, more correctly, accelerate?

A force is required to accelerate an object. What forces act on the top block? Which of them makes it accelerate and stay together with the bottom block??

I am on this same problem. So let me see if i am on the right track.

Since the bottom block is pulled by the string it will move, and in order for the top of the mass to move, the top mass will have to "stick" with the bottom mass. Therefore the force that makes the top mass stay still and move with bottom mass involves the static friction. Am i correct on this voko?

If yes, then would the forces that makes the top block accelerate are the Ty(tension in the y-axis) + Fs or Ty-Fs?

Last edited:
Jabababa said:
Since the bottom block is pulled by the string it will move, and in order for the top of the mass to move, the top mass will have to "stick" with the bottom mass. Therefore the force that makes the top mass stay still and move with bottom mass involves the static friction. Am i correct on this voko?

Yes.

If yes, then would the forces that makes the top block accelerate are the Ty(tension in the y-axis) + Fs or Ty-Fs?

How can the force of tension accelerate the top block if it is not applied to it?

voko said:
Yes.

How can the force of tension accelerate the top block if it is not applied to it?

so the static friction is the force that makes the top move with the bottom block. Then is the friction force pointing to the right? Sorry I got the concept but still confuse which direction.

Also how do you suggest I tackle on the second question?

Jabababa said:
Also how do you suggest I tackle on the second question?

According to the rules of the forum, you have to show an attempt.

Related to Two blocks on top of each other

1. What is the concept of "Two blocks on top of each other" in physics?

The concept of "Two blocks on top of each other" in physics refers to two objects that are stacked on top of each other and are in contact with each other. This is also known as a double block system and is often used to study the forces and motion between two objects.

2. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in a two block system?

In a two block system, static friction occurs when the blocks are at rest and the force required to move the top block is greater than the force of friction between the two blocks. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, occurs when the blocks are in motion and the force required to keep them in motion is less than the force of friction between the two blocks.

3. How does the weight of the top block affect the force of friction in a two block system?

The weight of the top block affects the force of friction in a two block system by increasing the normal force between the two blocks. This in turn increases the force of friction, making it more difficult to move the top block.

4. Can the top block ever slide off the bottom block in a two block system?

Yes, the top block can slide off the bottom block in a two block system if the force of friction is not strong enough to overcome the force of gravity acting on the top block. This will typically occur if the angle of the surface the blocks are on is too steep or if the weight of the top block is too great.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the two block system?

The coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces, will affect the two block system by determining the amount of force required to move the top block. A higher coefficient of friction means a stronger force of friction, making it more difficult to move the top block. Conversely, a lower coefficient of friction means a weaker force of friction, making it easier to move the top block.