Two blocks on top of each other accelerating

In summary, the question asks for the least amount of time it takes for two blocks to be moved a distance of 5 meters without the top block sliding on the lower block. The acceleration for both blocks is equal and is represented as a_t = a_b = a. Using the equations F = m_t a + f_s for the top block and F = m_b a + f_k for the bottom block, we can calculate the acceleration to be -9.8. Taking into account the equation x_f = x_i + v_i t + 1/2 a (t)^2), the time is calculated to be 1.20408163 seconds. However, this time is incorrect as the force acting on the bottom block
FancyNut
I did this question several times and all I get for acceleration is negative 9.8...

static friction for the top block is .60 and kinetic friction for the bottom block is .20... The force is making both blocks move a distance of 5 meters starting from rest. They want to know What is the least amount of time in which this motion can be completed without the top block sliding on the lower block?

These are the equations I used...

acceleration is equal for both so [tex]a_t = a_b = a[/tex].

for the top block:

[tex]\sum F_x = F = m_t a + f_s[/tex]

[tex]F = m_t a + u_s m_1 g[/tex]

for the bottom block:

[tex]\sum F_x = F = m_b a + f_k[/tex]

[tex]F = m_b a + u_k g (m_t + m_b)[/tex]

I subtracted second equation from the first and get:

[tex] 0 = a (m_t - m_b) + u_s m_1 g - u_k g (m_t + m_b)[/tex]

[tex] a = - 9.8 [/tex]

then I used this equation:

[tex]x_f = x_i + v_i t + 1/2 a (t)^2)[/tex]

[tex]5 = 1/2 (-9.8) t^2[/tex]

[tex] t = 1.20408163[/tex]

That time is of course wrong...

Attachments

• physics_picture.jpg
    physics_picture.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 753
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all:
You are using F as a force on the bottom block; but that is clearly false!
The driving force on the bottom block IS THE STATIC FRICTION FROM THE TOP BLOCK ON THE BOTTOM BLOCK!

Redo your equation for the bottom block. The applied force "F" acts only on the top block.

(arildno beat me again!)

Fixed it. :redface:

Thanks a lot. :)

Related to Two blocks on top of each other accelerating

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of two blocks on top of each other?

The acceleration of two blocks on top of each other can be calculated by using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the net force is the weight of the upper block minus the frictional force between the two blocks. Once the net force is determined, the acceleration can be calculated by dividing the net force by the total mass of the system.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of two blocks on top of each other?

The acceleration of two blocks on top of each other can be affected by the weight of the blocks, the friction between them, and the surface on which they are placed. Other factors that can impact the acceleration include the angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction between the blocks, and the force applied to the system.

3. How does the acceleration of two blocks on top of each other change if the mass of the top block is increased?

If the mass of the top block is increased, the overall mass of the system will also increase. This means that the net force acting on the system will also increase, which will result in a higher acceleration. However, if the coefficient of friction between the blocks or the surface is also increased, the acceleration will decrease.

4. Can the acceleration of two blocks on top of each other be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of two blocks on top of each other can be negative. This can occur if the force of friction between the blocks is greater than the weight of the upper block. In this case, the net force acting on the system will be directed downwards, resulting in a negative acceleration.

5. How does the acceleration of two blocks on top of each other change if the surface is rough?

If the surface is rough, the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the surface will increase. This will result in a higher frictional force between the blocks, which will decrease the net force acting on the system. As a result, the acceleration of the system will also decrease. Additionally, the rough surface may also increase the angle of incline, which can further affect the acceleration of the blocks.