Two Blocks on an Incline(picture)

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving two blocks on a double slope with different masses and angles. The first question asked for the acceleration of the blocks with no friction and 25° angles. The second question asked for the mass of the smaller block with a tension of 100N and no friction. The third question asked for the angles of the slopes if the acceleration of the blocks is g/5 with no friction. The final question asked for the minimum coefficient of friction for the blocks to remain stationary at a 25° angle. The conversation also briefly touched on Newton's Second Law and the attempt at solving the problem.
Dan350
1. Would you correct, revise my problem please?

Two Blocks sit on a symmetric double slope. Rightmost block has twice the mass of the of the other block, and the angle that each side makes with the horizontal is the same.
attachment.php?attachmentid=64593&d=1386526830.png

a) Suppose that there is no friction. and suppose that the slope angles are 25°, what is the acceleration of the blocks.

b)Suppose,again,that the slope angles are 25° and that there is no friction. Now suppose also that the tension rope is 100N. What is the mass of the smaller block?

c)Suppose again that there is no friction. Suppose that the slope angles are equal, but not necessarily 25. If the acceleration of the blocks is g/5. What are the slope angles?

d)For 25° angles, what is the minimum coefficient of friction for the blocks to remain stationary?

2.Newton's Second Laws

3. The Attempt at a Solution

a) Block A: ma= +T - mgsin@; Block B: 2ma= -T + 2mgsin@ adding the two equations,, tension cancels so, 3ma=mgsin@
I got 1.38m/s^2

b) for b i used my acceleration and the tension , then I solved for m, so T/(gsinθ+a)=m ; I got 18.11kg for the smaller block

c) I am lost in this one

d) for the coeffiecient,, I took my a,m, but only one side,, I used equation ma= +T - mgsin@-umgcosθ,,, I got .60 as the coeficient

Attachments

• Incline.png
    Incline.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
For c) you have the mass ratio, you have acceleration, and the only unknowns are tension and the angle, but you have two equations. So two equations, two unknowns = solvable.

Last edited:
There are three variables in each of a, b, and c: the angle, the mass ratio and the acceleration. From your equation, you can deduce any from the other two. The problem is that in c you only appear to be given one value. I think you need to assume the mass ratio is as given earlier - my guess is the 2:1 in a.
Same issue in d - you need to know the mass ratio. Please post more details of your working there.

Related to Two Blocks on an Incline(picture)

1. What is "Two Blocks on an Incline"?

"Two Blocks on an Incline" is a physics problem that involves two blocks of different masses placed on an inclined plane. The blocks are connected by a string and are subjected to the force of gravity pulling them down the incline.

2. How does the mass of the blocks affect the problem?

The mass of the blocks affects the problem by determining the magnitude of the force of gravity acting on each block. The heavier block will experience a greater force of gravity compared to the lighter block, which will impact the motion and acceleration of the blocks on the incline.

3. What other forces are acting on the blocks in this problem?

Apart from the force of gravity, there is also the normal force and the force of tension acting on the blocks. The normal force is perpendicular to the surface of the incline and prevents the blocks from sinking into the incline, while the force of tension is the force exerted by the string connecting the blocks.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the problem?

The angle of the incline affects the problem by altering the component of the force of gravity acting on the blocks. As the angle increases, the component of the force of gravity pulling the blocks down the incline also increases, resulting in a steeper incline and potentially faster acceleration of the blocks.

5. What is the purpose of this problem in physics?

The purpose of this problem is to demonstrate the application of Newton's laws of motion in the real world. By analyzing the forces acting on the blocks and using the principles of Newton's laws, we can accurately predict the motion and behavior of the blocks on the inclined plane.