Two Blocks and One Pulley: Finding Constant Speed

In summary, we are discussing a block with mass m1 and a second hanging block with mass m2 connected by a cord over a frictionless pulley on an inclined plane with a slope angle of theta. We are trying to find the mass m2 for which m1 moves up or down the plane at a constant speed, as well as the range of values for m2 that would keep the blocks at rest when released from rest. Relevant equations include Fnet = ma and the tension in the rope acting on both blocks. We can make two equations of motion for each block and eliminate the tension to solve for m2.
Jhero
This is a no number one :S

A block with mass m1 is placed on an inclined plane with slope angle theta and is connected to a second hanging block with mass m2 by a cord passing over a small frictionless pulley. The coefficient of static friction is mu s and kinetic is mu k.

a) Find the mass m2 for which the block m1 moves up the plane at a constant speed once it is set in motion.

b) Find the mass m2 for which block m1 moves down the plane at constant speed once it is set in motion.

c) For what range of values of m2 will the blocks remain at rest if they are released from rest?

Attachments

• physics.JPG
    physics.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried? What are the relevant equations? Did you construct a free body diagram?

Well, m2 would have 2 forces acting on it I suppose (gravity and tension); while m1 has components with mu s and mu k. For m1 to move at constant speed, I guess Fnet = Ma (a=0) thus Fnet = 0

I'm lost after this point :s

The tension in the rope holding back m2 also pulls forward m1.

ah yes, should the 2 tensions cancel out?

They will Eventually.

You can make up two eqns of motion for each mass where each one involves the tension T. Then eliminate T from the two eqns.

I think I asked you the same question Fermat. Hey are we alowed to help.

Sure, you can help me :)

ISU20CpreE said:
I think I asked you the same question Fermat...
Yes, I think I remember that one.

ISU20CpreE said:
... Hey are we alowed to help.
Anyone can help, but you should read the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=4825 at the top of this forum (and others)

Related to Two Blocks and One Pulley: Finding Constant Speed

1. What is the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to find the constant speed at which two blocks connected by a pulley system move when a constant force is applied.

2. What materials are needed for the experiment?

The materials needed for the experiment are two blocks of equal mass, a pulley, a string, a force meter, and a timer or stopwatch.

3. How is the experiment set up?

The experiment is set up by attaching the blocks to either end of the string, passing the string over the pulley, and attaching one end of the string to the force meter. The force meter should be attached to a fixed object, such as a table, and the other end of the string should be attached to a weight or object that will provide a constant force. The timer or stopwatch should be ready to use.

4. How is the constant speed calculated?

The constant speed is calculated by dividing the distance the blocks traveled by the time it took for them to travel that distance. This can be represented by the equation: speed = distance/time.

5. How can the experiment be improved?

The experiment can be improved by using blocks and a pulley with less friction, using a more precise force meter, and conducting multiple trials to ensure accuracy. Additionally, using a larger distance and longer time intervals can also improve the accuracy of the results.