Two blocks and a spring system

In summary: I had somewhat similar scenario in my mind when I began with this question. I figured out that 1 will separate from wall when 2 just passes A. I did not think of ##v_1=0##. Should have been more careful. :rolleyes:
Saitama

Homework Statement

Two bars of masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## connected by a weightless spring of stiffness ##k## rest on a smooth horizontal plane. Bar 2 is shifted a small distance ##x## to the left and then released. Find the velocity of the centre of inertia of the system after bar 1 breaks off the wall.
attachment.php?attachmentid=59577&stc=1&d=1371360642.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The bar 1 breaks off from the wall when the bar 2 just passes its original position but I don't have any idea about how to begin making the equations here. :confused:

Attachments

• bars and spring.png
    bars and spring.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 931
Physics news on Phys.org
What will be the velocity of 1 when it breaks off the wall?
What will be the velocity of 2 when 1 breaks off the wall?(conserve energy)

Likes 1 person
What can you tell us about the momentum of the system at various times?

consciousness said:
What will be the velocity of 1 when it breaks off the wall?
What will be the velocity of 2 when 1 breaks off the wall?(conserve energy)

Conserving energy,
[tex]m_1v_1^2+m_2v_2^2=kx^2[/tex]
where ##v_1## and ##v_2## are the velocities of 1 and 2 when 1 breaks off the wall.

verty said:
What can you tell us about the momentum of the system at various times?
Do you ask me to conserve linear momentum? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
Conserving energy,
[tex]m_1v_1^2+m_2v_2^2=kx^2[/tex]
where ##v_1## and ##v_2## are the velocities of 1 and 2 when 1 breaks off the wall.

What will be the velocity of block 1 when it breaks off the wall?

Pranav-Arora said:
Do you ask me to conserve linear momentum? :confused:

No need to conserve momentum.Linear momentum will not be conserved till block 1 remains in contact with the wall.

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
What will be the velocity of block 1 when it breaks off the wall?

If I assume ##v_1=0##, I get the right answer. Thanks! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
If I assume ##v_1=0##, I get the right answer. Thanks! :smile:

Great ...:approve:

But do you understand why should you do so ?

Tanya Sharma said:
But do you understand why should you do so ?

As the question asks ##v_{CM}## at the instant 1 breaks off the wall, so we can assume ##v_1=0## and I don't see how will ##v_1## reach a finite value in an instant, right?

When block 2 is released,it will move towards right,but block 1 will remain pushed against the wall.Block 2 will reach a point A such that the spring is in its natural uncompressed length.The force on block 1 at this point will be zero .

Now due to the momentum gained,Block 2 will continue moving towards right.Just as block 2 crosses point A,there will be a stretching in the spring which will pull the block 1 off the wall with an initial speed zero.

Tanya Sharma said:
When block 2 is released,it will move towards right,but block 1 will remain pushed against the wall.Block 2 will reach a point A such that the spring is in its natural uncompressed length.The force on block 1 at this point will be zero .

Now due to the momentum gained,Block 2 will continue moving towards right.Just as block 2 crosses point A,there will be a stretching in the spring which will pull the block 1 off the wall with an initial speed zero.

Thanks!

I had somewhat similar scenario in my mind when I began with this question. I figured out that 1 will separate from wall when 2 just passes A. I did not think of ##v_1=0##. Should have been more careful. :rolleyes:

Related to Two blocks and a spring system

1. How does a two block and spring system work?

In a two block and spring system, two blocks of different masses are connected by a spring. The blocks move in opposite directions due to the elasticity of the spring. When one block is pulled or pushed, the spring compresses or extends, causing the other block to move in the opposite direction.

2. What factors affect the motion of a two block and spring system?

The motion of a two block and spring system is affected by the masses of the blocks, the stiffness of the spring, and the initial displacement of the blocks. The heavier the blocks, the slower the motion will be. A stiffer spring will result in faster oscillations, while a looser spring will result in slower oscillations. The initial displacement of the blocks also affects the amplitude and frequency of the motion.

3. What is the formula for the period of a two block and spring system?

The formula for the period (T) of a two block and spring system is T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the reduced mass of the system (m = m1m2/(m1+m2)) and k is the spring constant.

4. How does changing the spring constant affect the motion of a two block and spring system?

Changing the spring constant will affect the stiffness of the spring and, in turn, the frequency of the motion. A higher spring constant will result in a stiffer spring, causing faster oscillations and a shorter period. A lower spring constant will result in a looser spring, causing slower oscillations and a longer period.

5. Can the two block and spring system be used to demonstrate simple harmonic motion?

Yes, the two block and spring system can be used to demonstrate simple harmonic motion as long as the spring is ideal (massless and frictionless) and the motion is undamped (no external forces or friction acting on the blocks). The motion of the blocks will follow a sinusoidal curve, with a constant period and amplitude.