Twisted Coil in a Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of a homogenous magnetic field inducing a current and accumulating a charge Q in a circular coil with a constant resistivity. The question arises about the charge Q' when the coil is twisted to form an 8 shape with radii a1 and a2, and how this affects the charge accumulation. The charge accumulated on a capacitor in series is also mentioned, with the conclusion that the charge has to be conserved in this scenario.
Leitmotiv
The idea is as it follows:

We have an homogeneus magnetic field that was increased from 0 to Bf. It induced a certain current (that accumulated to a charge Q) in a circular coil of radius a and resistivity [tex]\rho[/tex] constant. The question is, what would be the charge Q' when the coil is twisted (not strangled), forming an 8 of radii a1 and a2 in terms of Q?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how charges could accumulate on a conducting coil due to an induced current.

Leitmotiv said:
The idea is as it follows:

We have an homogeneus magnetic field that was increased from 0 to Bf. It induced a certain current (that accumulated to a charge Q) in a circular coil of radius a and resistivity [tex]\rho[/tex] constant. The question is, what would be the charge Q' when the coil is twisted (not strangled), forming an 8 of radii a1 and a2 in terms of Q?

Thanks for your help
The charge accumulated on a capacitor in series would be [tex]Q[a_1^2-a_2^2]/a^2[/tex].

Nono, I expressed myself terribly. The idea is ALL the charge that circulated due to i is Q, I mean [tex]\int i·dt=Q[/tex]

Hmm it seems that in the latter case you can't just treat the 8-shape as two separate coils. For the current to flow in a particular direction in one of the the half-coil, it has to flow in the opposite circular direction. This complicates things somewhat.

clem said:
The charge accumulated on a capacitor in series would be [tex]Q[a_1^2-a_2^2]/a^2[/tex].

The charge is separated by the capacitor.

Charge has to be conserved.

Related to Twisted Coil in a Magnetic Field

What is a twisted coil?

A twisted coil is a wire wrapped around a central axis in a helical shape. It is commonly used in electromagnets and other electrical devices.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an area of space around a magnet or electric current where magnetic forces are exerted on other objects.

How does a twisted coil interact with a magnetic field?

A twisted coil in a magnetic field will experience a force due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the current flowing through the coil. The direction of the force depends on the direction of the current and the orientation of the coil in the magnetic field.

What is the importance of twisted coils in scientific research?

Twisted coils are commonly used in scientific research for their ability to produce precise and controlled magnetic fields. They are also used in various devices and equipment, such as generators and motors.

Can twisted coils be used for anything other than electromagnetism?

Yes, twisted coils can also be used for other purposes, such as inductors in electronic circuits and as antennas for radio communication. They have a wide range of applications in various scientific fields.