Twin Paradox (I know not again)

In summary, the twin paradox is a thought experiment in which one twin travels at nearly the speed of light to a distant planet and back, while the other twin stays on Earth. When the traveling twin changes inertial frames, there is a discrepancy in time between the two twins due to the relativity of simultaneity. In one frame, the Earth's clock reads 0.01 years when the traveling twin's clock reads 10.1 years, and in the other frame, the Earth's clock reads 20.19 years. This is caused by the fact that different sets of events are simultaneous in different frames.
Libohove90
I am new to the forums so hello everyone.

I have spent time trying to understand the twin paradox, and I have only partially grasped it.

What I specifically don't grasp is...what really happens when the traveler changes inertial frames from leaving Earth to heading towards Earth? I know the symmetry is broken at this point.

The traveler can say the Earth's time is slower than his but when he changes inertial frames to heading towards Earth, he realizes that the Earth has already aged tremendously as he heads back. Maybe someone here can clarify clearly what happens when the traveler changes inertial frames that causes so much time on Earth to pass.

Physics news on Phys.org
Relativity of Simulteneity: Different sets of events are simultaneous in different frames.

Suppose that the spacecraft goes to Vega 10 light-years away at nearly c, and that there is a clock on Vega synchronized with Earth's in the Vega-Earth rest frame. Suppose that when the ship gets to Vega, its clock reads 10.1 years.

In neither of the ship's two frames are the Earth's Clock and Vega's Clock synchronized, and they are mis-synchronized in opposite senses in the two frames. In the outgoing frame, the event simultaneous with "Vega's Clock Reads 10.1 years" is "Earth's clock reads 0.01 years." In the returning frame, the event simultaneous with "Vega's Clock Reads 10.1 years" is "Earth's Clock Reads 20.19 years." And that's it.

Related to Twin Paradox (I know not again)

1. What is the Twin Paradox?

The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment in which one twin travels away from the Earth at high speeds and then returns, while the other twin remains on Earth. This leads to a discrepancy in their ages, with the traveling twin being younger than the stationary twin upon their reunion.

2. Why is it called a paradox?

It is called a paradox because it seems to contradict the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. However, the Twin Paradox appears to show that time can pass at different rates for different observers.

3. Is the Twin Paradox real or just a thought experiment?

The Twin Paradox is primarily a thought experiment used to illustrate the principles of special relativity. However, it has also been observed in experiments involving atomic clocks, confirming the phenomenon's validity in the real world.

4. Can the Twin Paradox be resolved?

Yes, the Twin Paradox can be resolved by taking into account the effects of acceleration and deceleration on time dilation. This means that the traveling twin experiences more time dilation due to their constant changes in velocity, while the stationary twin experiences less time dilation on Earth.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Twin Paradox?

The Twin Paradox has been used in thought experiments to explore concepts such as time travel and the effects of space travel on astronauts. It also has practical applications in the development of GPS technology, which relies on the principles of special relativity to accurately measure time and location.