Twin Paradox: A and B at Different Speeds

In summary: in summary, the twin paradox is that the two observers will have the same age when they return to the point of origin, but will have aged differently during the journey.
sqljunkey
Hi,
I'm trying to understand the twin paradox and time dilation.

Someone told me that if observer A and observer B are traveling apart from each other with each having a uniform speed of .4c they will have the same age when they return back at the point of origin. Even though I'm unsure of this outcome, because observer A would think he's standing still and B is moving away and so when B returns at the origin A should be older, but I'm going to assume what this person told me is right and they both will be the same age when they return at point of origin because they changed directions.

I'm assuming they are moving with uniform speed and that no acceleration is involved. They are traveling in complete vacuum.

To extend this I'm adding an extra observer C who is standing at the point of origin. I'm assuming that observer C will see both A and B with the same age when they return from this trip.

If observer A was standing still and observer B was the one moving, when B comes back he would be 8 years and observer A and C would be 10 years old.

Now I will change the original example so observer A is traveling at a much slower speed. To be annoying let's say he moves a total of 1 meter back and forth in the 10 year duration. So the first 5 years he moves away from the origin with a uniform of .1 meters per year and then the next 5 years he will move back with the same uniform velocity.

Traveler B on the other hand moves with very fast speeds so that together they move apart with a combined uniform velocity of .8c. Just like the above example, they are both traveling apart at .8c and they both change their directions. So just as the above example, due to the principle of relativity they should be the same age when they return at the origin. I'm assuming they both get there at the same time.

Will observer C see them both being the same age as in the above example? For example both will be 8 years instead of just B being younger and A being 10 years old? I assuming the second example is identical to the first example.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sqljunkey said:
I'm assuming they are moving with uniform speed and that no acceleration is involved.
Then they cannot return to the origin.

Presuming that you actually mean that the travellers turn around instantaneously rather than that they do not accelerate (to address Dale's comment) then no, your situations are not identical. You seem to be trying to use a Newtonian intuition to reason about relativistic experiments, so you have neglected the relativity of simultaneity and the relativistic velocity addition formula.

I recommend looking up the Lorentz transforms. Try to work out the coordinates if the key points in your experiment (departures, turnarounds, returns) in C's rest frame and then use the Lorentz transforms to determine the times in the various moving frames.

You don't need Lorentz transforms, just a trajectory of each observer, say ##\vec{x}_a(t)## and ##\vec{x}_b(t)##, where I express the trajectory in terms of the space-like components of an arbitrary inertial reference frame (supposed we talk about special relativity only and not general relativity). Then the aging is given by the proper time of each observer, which you can simply compare:
$$\tau_a=\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t \sqrt{1-\vec{v}_a^2(t)/c^2}, \quad \tau_b=\int_{t_1}^{t_2} \mathrm{d} t \sqrt{1-\vec{v}_b^2/c^2}.$$
Then it becomes a no-brainer to compare the different values of these proper times :-).

Indeed. But it looks to me like, in both threads the OP has started, he or she is trying to use Newtonian intuition on relativistic problems. Although I agree that one can completely avoid the Lorentz transforms in predicting the outcome of the twin paradox, I think in this case that the LTs will help more - introducing concepts like the lack of absolute simultaneity and leading to the velocity transforms.

Likes vanhees71
sqljunkey said:
Hi,
I'm trying to understand the twin paradox and time dilation.
A bit of advice; the twin "paradox" is already as simple as it can be (as below). I seriously doubt that you will gain any insights by making it more complicated.

Assuming traveler B goes 4 ly away at 0.8c (which takes in 5 years in A's frame) then returns . . . while A stays put.
$$\tau_A ^2 = 5^2 - 0^2 = 5^2 \implies \tau_A = 5$$
$$\tau_B ^2 = 5^2 - 4^2 = 3^2 \implies \tau_B = 3$$ for each half of the journey. Now double those figures for the return journey and see that A ages 10 years whilst B ages 6 years.

Once you understand this you can knock yourself out with lengthy application of the Lorentz Transform, agonize about acceleration, gravity, the equivalence principle or whatever, but you had better make sure you get the answers above ;)

Likes vanhees71

Related to Twin Paradox: A and B at Different Speeds

1. What is the Twin Paradox?

The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment in the theory of relativity, which involves two twins, A and B, where one twin travels away from Earth at high speed and the other stays on Earth. When the traveling twin returns, they have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth, leading to the paradox of how time can pass differently for each twin.

2. How does the Twin Paradox demonstrate the theory of relativity?

The Twin Paradox shows how time dilation, a key concept in the theory of relativity, can occur when one object is moving at a high speed relative to another. This means that time can pass at different rates for two observers depending on their relative speeds.

3. Is the Twin Paradox a real phenomenon or just a thought experiment?

The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment used to explore the principles of the theory of relativity. While there have been experiments that demonstrate time dilation, the Twin Paradox itself has not been directly observed in real life.

4. How can one twin age less than the other if they are both moving at different speeds?

The key to understanding the Twin Paradox is the concept of relative motion. From the perspective of the traveling twin, they are not moving at a high speed and time is passing normally for them. However, from the perspective of the twin on Earth, the traveling twin is moving at a high speed, causing time to pass slower for them. This creates the discrepancy in aging between the two twins.

5. Can the Twin Paradox be resolved?

While the Twin Paradox may seem like a paradox, it can be resolved by understanding the principles of relativity and the concept of relative motion. The key is to consider the perspective of each twin and how their relative speeds affect the passage of time. The resolution of the Twin Paradox helps to solidify the principles of the theory of relativity and our understanding of time and space.