Twin lead Tx line radiation losses

In summary: You could also look into using a balun to balance the unbalanced modems.In summary, the conversation discussed the use of twin lead Tx lines at high frequencies and the possibility of using them to transfer a 10 GHz signal over a short distance. The speaker expressed a preference for using twin lead over coax in order to save space, but also noted the possibility of using baluns to balance unbalanced modems. It was also mentioned that 10GBaseT Ethernet can be carried over a twisted pair and that the drivers could potentially be used for this purpose.
Mrcelloman99
Hi all

I understand that at high frequencies, a twin lead Tx line has high radiation losses because the conductor separation becomes close to the wavelength size, allowing the conductors to act as antennas. Can one still be used to transfer a high frequency signal a short distance from an antenna to a receiver though? More specifically, could one use a twin lead with a 1 cm conductor spacing to transfer a ~10 GHz signal (wavelength ~3 cm) if the line length is only a couple of centimeters at most? Or will the radiation losses be too high even for that? The reason I would want to do that over using a coax is that the device I am making needs to be as compact as possible, and I would rather not have to devote room to baluns. My signal doesn't have to be that strong anyway at the end of the day and I have amplifiers (which I will need to use whether I use a coax or twin lead) to deal with signal strength issues.

Thank you

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
10GBaseT Ethernet can be carried over a twisted pair. You could look up some application notes for use of those modems. You might even be able to use the drivers somehow.

Related to Twin lead Tx line radiation losses

1. What is twin lead Tx line radiation?

Twin lead Tx line radiation refers to the loss of electromagnetic energy that occurs when a twin lead transmission line is used to transmit signals.

2. How does twin lead Tx line radiation occur?

Twin lead Tx line radiation occurs when the electric and magnetic fields of a signal traveling through the transmission line interact with the conductors of the line, causing them to radiate energy.

3. What factors affect twin lead Tx line radiation losses?

The amount of twin lead Tx line radiation losses is affected by the length and diameter of the transmission line, the frequency of the signal being transmitted, and the characteristics of the materials used in the line.

4. How can twin lead Tx line radiation losses be minimized?

Twin lead Tx line radiation losses can be minimized by using thicker and shorter transmission lines, using materials with lower resistivity, and using shielding to reduce the interaction between the signal and the conductors.

5. What are the consequences of high twin lead Tx line radiation losses?

High twin lead Tx line radiation losses can result in weaker and distorted signals being received, which can lead to poor communication and data transmission. It can also cause interference with other electronic devices and increase the overall cost of the transmission system.