Efficient Matrix Transformations for C++ Programming

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a matrix class in C++ and the difficulties faced in finding algorithms for transforming a matrix to its row echelon form or reduced row echelon form. The teacher advises the use of online algorithms and a strategy is given for the reduced row echelon form. The conversation also touches on the topic of finding the inverse of a matrix and the use of the augmented matrix. The efficiency of different algorithms and the purpose of the task is also discussed.
DrKareem
I'm making a matrix class that allows the user to manipulate with matrices, on C++ that is.

I'm having difficulties finding the algorithms of transforming a matrix to it's row echelon form or reduced row echelon form. The last one could help in finding the inverse of a matrix.

My teacher advised me not to develop the algorithms and get them online. So I'm wondering if anybody knows anything about those that could help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Here is the strategy for reduced row echelon form. Follow it carefully

Say you have a 3x3 integer array

[ 2 , 21 , 3 ]
[ 4 , 15 , 18 ]
[ 8 , 3 , 9 ]

Definition: (Row) Pivot = first non-zero digit in the row

Step 1

Pivot = (0,0) = 2
Multiplier = (1, 0) / Pivot = 4/2 = 2

(1,0) = (1, 0) - Multiplier * (0,0)
(1,1) = (1,1) - Multiplier * (0,1)
(1,2) = (1, 2) - Multiplier * (0,2)

Or simply

Row 1 = Row1 - Multiplier * Row 0

[ 2 , 21 , 3 ]
[ 0 , -27 , 12 ]
[ 8 , 3 , 9 ]

Step 2

Pivot = (0,0) = 2
Multiplier = (2, 0) / Pivot = 8/2 = 4

(2,0) = (2, 0) - Multiplier * (0,0)
(2,1) = (2,1) - Multiplier * (0,1)
(2,2) = (2, 2) - Multiplier * (0,2)

Or simply

Row 2 = Row2 - Multiplier * Row 0

[ 2 , 21 , 3 ]
[ 0 , -27 , 12 ]
[ 0 , -81 , -3 ]

Step 3

Pivot = (1,1) = -27
Multiplier = (2, 1) / Pivot = -81/-27 = 3

(2,1) = (2,1) - Multiplier * (1,1)
(2,2) = (2, 2) - Multiplier * (1,2)

Or simply

Row 2 = Row2 - Multiplier * Row 1

[ 2 , 21 , 3 ]
[ 0 , -27 , 12 ]
[ 0 , 0 , -33 ]

Step 4

Pivot = (2,2) = -33
Multiplier = (1, 2) / Pivot = -(12/33)

(1,2) = (1,2) - Multiplier * (2,2)

Or simply

Row 1 = Row1 - Multiplier * Row 2

[ 2 , 21 , 3 ]
[ 0 , -27 , 0 ]
[ 0 , 0 , -33 ]

Step 5

Pivot = (2,2) = -33
Multiplier = (0, 2) / Pivot = 3/-33 = -(1/11)

(0,2) = (0,2) - Multiplier * (2,2)

Or simply

Row 0 = Row0 - Multiplier * Row 2

[ 2 , 21 , 0 ]
[ 0 , -27 , 0 ]
[ 0 , 0 , -33 ]

Step 6

Pivot = (1,1) = -27
Multiplier = (0, 1) / Pivot = 21/-27 = -(7/9)

(0,1) = (0,1) - Multiplier * (1,1)

Or simply

Row 0 = Row0 - Multiplier * Row 1

[ 2 , 0 , 0 ]
[ 0 , -27 , 0 ]
[ 0 , 0 , -33 ]

Step 7

Pivot = (0,0) = 2

Row 0 = Row 0 / Pivot

[ 1 , 0 , 0 ]
[ 0 , -27 , 0 ]
[ 0 , 0 , -33 ]

Step 8

Pivot = (1,1) = -27

Row 1 = Row 1 / Pivot

[ 1 , 0 , 0 ]
[ 0 , 1 , 0 ]
[ 0 , 0 , -33 ]

Step 9

Pivot = (2,2) = -33

Row 2 = Row 2 / Pivot

[ 1 , 0 , 0 ]
[ 0 , 1 , 0 ]
[ 0 , 0 , 1 ]

----------------------------------------

If your interested in finding the Inverse matrix, just augment the one above with the identiy matrix

[ 2 , 21 , 3 | 1 , 0 , 0 ]
[ 4 , 15 , 18 | 0 , 1 , 0 ]
[ 8 , 3 , 9 | 0 , 0 , 1 ]

Then do the same procedure but when doing the multiplier row operations, make sure to do it to the right side of the augmented matrix as well.

Here is the first step with the the augmented matrix:

[ 2 , 21 , 3 | 1 , 0 , 0 ]
[ 0 , -27 ,12 | -2 , 1, 0 ]
[ 8 , 3 , 9 | 0 , 0 , 1 ]

Have a look at Numerical Recipes:

http://www.library.cornell.edu/nr/cbookcpdf.html

cf. Chapter 2.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
dduardo, the algorithm that you used is really nice, but in certain cases, when you have for example huge matrices is perhaps inefficient, since it would require a huge numbre of iterations. It's easy to figure out an algorithm for square matrices, but for rectangular ones it becomes harder.
Chroot, i haven't looked on the lib you gave yet, but i will see it later and comment on it.

Are you looking for a fast matrix inversion algorithm or are you looking for a reduced row echelon algorithm that you can then apply to do matrix inversion? As you probable already know, the method I showed you in my previous post was a basic Gaussian elimination alogrithm that is O(n^3). If you just want to invert matrices you have to ask yourself what type of matrices you intend to invert? Are they dense, sparse, symmetric, banded or anything? Gaussian elimination will handle all the cases you can throw at it, but is slower than other methods which target specific cases. You could speed up gaussian elimination a little bit with strassen matrix multiplication, making it an O(n^ln(7)) algorithm. Unfortunetly it is really only good for square matrices.

The other thing is that do you really need the inverse? There are algorithms that will solve the equation Ax=b without ever finding the inverse of A. (e.g. conjugate gradients)

The only purpose of doing this is to practive my programming skills Hurkyl.

And dduardo, my knowledge about Linear Algebra is kinda limited.

My first impression was that if i found the algorithm for reduced row echelon form, i could use the algorithm easily to do the inverse algorithm as well since they are extermely close to each other.

Since i finished my exams and now i got some free time again, i will try to implement your algorithm on C++ code, and tell you guys what i came up with :).

Also, a recursive method of doing the task came to my mind, but i read the recursive functions are ineffecient, especially if the data inserted is huge...

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of operations on vectors and matrices to solve systems of equations and analyze geometric transformations.

2. Why are linear algebra algorithms important?

Linear algebra algorithms are important because they are used to solve a wide range of practical problems in various fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. They also serve as the foundation for more complex mathematical concepts and algorithms.

3. What are some common linear algebra algorithms?

Some common linear algebra algorithms include Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, QR decomposition, and singular value decomposition. These algorithms are used to solve systems of linear equations, find eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and perform matrix operations.

4. How are linear algebra algorithms implemented in computer programs?

Linear algebra algorithms are implemented in computer programs using mathematical libraries and programming languages, such as MATLAB, Python, and Java. These languages provide built-in functions and libraries for performing matrix operations and solving linear systems.

5. What are the limitations of linear algebra algorithms?

Linear algebra algorithms have limitations when dealing with large and complex systems, as they can be computationally expensive. They also may not be suitable for solving non-linear or non-numeric problems. Additionally, the results of these algorithms may be affected by rounding errors and numerical stability issues.