Turning water into plasma and back in order to purify it

In summary, the conversation discusses a process of purifying water using a plasma arc that heats the water to 3,000°C, turning it into plasma and breaking down all contaminants. The question is raised whether the heavy atoms will form a solid at the bottom of the chamber when the plasma cools. Another question asks if the ionized hydrogen and oxygen atoms will immediately turn back into water or remain separate gases when cooled. The process is seen as beneficial as it not only cleans the water but also destroys contaminants. The potential for producing Plasmarock and generating electricity from the process is also mentioned. The feasibility of the process is questioned, as there is no easy way to separate the individual atomic species from the plasma when it cools.
shanebird1001
This really isn't a HW problem, but this seemed like the best place to post my question.

Imagine a modern city's water cycle. Clean water is obtained from a river or from groundwater, and this water is used for drinking, bathing and industrial uses. Afterwards the water is fouled biologically and chemically. Next this very dirty water is sealed in a chamber, and a plasma arc (temp of 25,000° C) inside heats it until all of the water and contaminants turn into plasma (all chemical bonds broken).

Question: If the plasma is allowed to cool, will the heavy atoms form a solid at the bottom of the chamber?

Question: Will the ionized Hydrogen and Oxygen atoms immediately turn back into water when cooled, or will they be separate gases?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are cheaper, easier and less energy-intensive ways to purify water than heating it to 25,000 C.

SteamKing said:
There are cheaper, easier and less energy-intensive ways to purify water than heating it to 25,000 C.

I didnt mean to imply that the water would be heated all the way to 25,000 C. The water would only have to be heated until it becomes plasma at 3,000 C or so.

While I am sure your right about cheaper ways to clean water, that's not the whole picture. Cleaning the water is only one benefit of this process. Another benefit is that the contaminants are destroyed. So for example, suppose that we were considering desalinization to produce clean water. The desalinization process concentrates the brine, and then dumps it back into the ocean. At such a concentrated level the contaminants are toxic to ocean life - even though they came out of the sea to begin with. So the area around the plant becomes a dead zone. Heating the dirty water into plasma eradicates all of the biological and chemical residues. Advanced Plasma Power is a company that uses a plasma arc to eradicate solid waste, their process results in a solid leftover that they term Plasmarock. This material can be used in construction. I don't know if a liquid waste process would also produce Plasmarock, that's my first question above.

Thats also not the end of the process. IF the cooling plasma results in disassociated hydrogen and oxygen gases, then they can be piped into another chamber and ignited. The explosion can be used to move a magnetic piston head, thereby producing electricity (and clean water, because burning the hydrogen and oxygen will cause them to recombine). IF the cooling plasma recombines the water and hydrogen, then the steam can be used to drive a steam turbine/steam generator, which will also produce electricity. So the overall process would look like this:

Inputs:
Dirty Water
Energy (Plasma Arc)

Outputs:
Pure Water
Plasmarock
Energy (Electricity)

Note that no wastes or contaminants are released, the Plasmarock can be sold, and the energy produced by the process will lower the overall cost. Finally, my process can use the same water indefinitely, so that the city would never run out of water.

I am interested in feedback, so please let me know if you think the whole process is feasible or not. Thanks.

Last edited:
There is no trivial way to separate the individual atomic species from the plasma in bulk. When the plasma cools you won't be able to control how the atomic soup recombines. Shades of the Miller-Urey experiments!

I find this concept intriguing and potentially innovative. The idea of using plasma to purify water is not a new concept, as it has been used in various industries for decades. However, the specific method described in this scenario is unique and warrants further investigation.

To answer the first question, it is possible that some heavy atoms may form solids at the bottom of the chamber when the plasma cools. The exact composition of the solid would depend on the specific contaminants present in the water, as well as the temperature and other conditions during the plasma treatment. Further research and experimentation would be needed to determine the exact outcome.

As for the second question, it is likely that the ionized hydrogen and oxygen atoms would recombine to form water molecules when cooled. However, this process may not occur immediately and could depend on the rate of cooling and other factors. Additionally, some of the ionized atoms may also recombine to form other compounds or molecules. Again, further research and experimentation would be necessary to fully understand this process.

Overall, the concept of using plasma to purify water has potential, but it would require extensive research and testing to determine its effectiveness and feasibility on a larger scale. It is important to consider the energy requirements and potential environmental impacts of such a process. I would encourage further exploration of this idea and its potential applications in water purification.

Related to Turning water into plasma and back in order to purify it

1. How does turning water into plasma purify it?

When water is turned into plasma, it undergoes a process called ionization, which breaks down the molecules into charged particles. These charged particles then react with impurities, such as bacteria and viruses, in the water, destroying them and making the water safe to drink.

2. Is turning water into plasma safe for human consumption?

Yes, turning water into plasma is safe for human consumption. The process of ionization does not add any harmful chemicals or substances to the water, making it a natural and non-toxic way to purify water.

3. How is water turned into plasma?

Water can be turned into plasma by subjecting it to a strong electric field. This causes the water molecules to break down and form plasma, which is made up of positively and negatively charged particles.

4. Can plasma-purified water be used for other purposes besides drinking?

Yes, plasma-purified water can be used for a variety of purposes, such as cleaning and sanitation. The process of ionization also removes odors and improves the taste of the water, making it suitable for cooking and other household uses.

5. Are there any environmental benefits to using plasma for water purification?

Using plasma for water purification has several environmental benefits. It does not require the use of chemicals, which can be harmful to the environment, and it does not produce any harmful by-products. Additionally, plasma-purified water can be recycled and reused, reducing the amount of water wasted.