Turn-on voltage from I-V graph

In summary, determining the turn-on voltage from a given I-V graph involves plotting the data on a semi-log graph and extrapolating the curves to where they cross 0.01 mA current. However, the professor may have instructed to find the gradient at one point of the curve and the point where it intercepts the x-axis. The factors affecting turn-on voltage can be found by looking up the "diode equation".
harryexe
How do we determine the turn-on voltage from a given I-V graph?
2. I have attached the picture. The graph which i need to obtain the turn-on voltage from is on the right.
3. I have searched the web and the closest answer I can find is from this website (link can't be posted due to lack of post) It says that "One method to consider begins with plotting the I–V data on a semi-log graph. Your
data should approximate a straight line, indicative of the exponential nature of the current
voltage relationship. An operational definition of the threshold voltage could be that value
of the bias voltage when the current reaches 0.01 mA. Extrapolate your I–V curves to where
they cross 0.01 mA current and use that as the working value of V0." However, during the briefing prior to doing the experiment and obtaining my data, the professor told find a gradient at one point of the curve and find the point where it intercept the x-axis (the voltage) which will give me the turn on voltage. No semi-log graph is needed here. But which point from the graph do i find the get the gradient to extrapolate? Thank you!

Attachments

• IV graph (heated pn junction on the left).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,381
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi harryexe. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif
harryexe said:
How do we determine the turn-on voltage from a given I-V graph?
Are we to assume this is for a diode? :wink:

I don't believe your 1.8MB attachment conveys any more information than would something of more reasonable size, such as 300KB. As a courtesy to readers, would you make sure that future attachments are of a less extravagent size? Most paint/photo programs allow you to save to a smaller size.
3. I have searched the web and the closest answer I can find is from this website (link can't be posted due to lack of post) It says that "One method to consider begins with plotting the I–V data on a semi-log graph. Your
data should approximate a straight line, indicative of the exponential nature of the current
voltage relationship. An operational definition of the threshold voltage could be that value
of the bias voltage when the current reaches 0.01 mA. Extrapolate your I–V curves to where
they cross 0.01 mA current and use that as the working value of V0." However, during the briefing prior to doing the experiment and obtaining my data, the professor told find a gradient at one point of the curve and find the point where it intercept the x-axis (the voltage) which will give me the turn on voltage. No semi-log graph is needed here. But which point from the graph do i find the get the gradient to extrapolate? Thank you!
Turn-on voltage has no one universal definition. I'm afraid you are going to have to abide by the instructions you have been given, if you wish to satisfy the requirements of that person who will be marking your work. Turn-on voltage is not usually regarded as a precise parameter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reply =] In addition, what exactly are the factors affecting the turn-on voltage?

harryexe said:
Thank you for your reply =] In addition, what exactly are the factors affecting the turn-on voltage?

Look up the "diode equation".

I would say that there are multiple methods to determine the turn-on voltage from a given I-V graph, and the most appropriate method may depend on the specific nature of the data and the desired level of accuracy. One method, as mentioned in the website you found, is to plot the data on a semi-log graph and extrapolate the curve to where it intersects with a certain current value, such as 0.01 mA. This can give a good estimate of the turn-on voltage.

However, your professor's method of finding the gradient at a specific point and extrapolating to the x-axis is also a valid approach. The specific point at which to find the gradient may depend on the shape of the curve and the desired level of accuracy. It is important to note that both methods rely on extrapolation, which means that the calculated turn-on voltage may not be entirely accurate. Therefore, it is always important to consider the limitations of the data and the chosen method when determining the turn-on voltage from an I-V graph.

Related to Turn-on voltage from I-V graph

1. What is turn-on voltage in an I-V graph?

Turn-on voltage is the voltage at which a device or circuit begins to conduct electricity. It is the point at which the current starts to increase significantly with increasing voltage.

2. How is turn-on voltage calculated from an I-V graph?

To calculate turn-on voltage from an I-V graph, you can find the point at which the current starts to increase significantly and read the corresponding voltage value on the horizontal axis.

3. What factors affect the turn-on voltage in an I-V graph?

The turn-on voltage in an I-V graph can be affected by factors such as the type of material used, the thickness of the material, and the temperature at which the device is operating.

4. Why is turn-on voltage an important parameter in electronic devices?

Turn-on voltage is an important parameter in electronic devices because it determines the minimum voltage required for the device to start conducting electricity. It is also used to characterize the efficiency and performance of electronic components.

5. How can the turn-on voltage be controlled in electronic devices?

The turn-on voltage in electronic devices can be controlled by adjusting the material properties, such as doping levels, or by using external components such as diodes or transistors to regulate the voltage and current flow. It can also be controlled by adjusting the temperature at which the device is operating.