Turbulent friction coefficient over a plate

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem using the equation Cf=0.0577(μ/xρUm)0.2. The person has completed parts a) and b) but is unsure if their attempt at the first part is correct due to using a different value for Cf than the one given in the mark scheme. They have also included their expression for the first part, which resulted in a CDf value of 0.00421 instead of the expected 0.00263. The conversation then shifts to discussing the concept of integrated average of local Cf over the surface area and the need to do something after integrating Cf.
pressurised

Homework Statement

0E2dgwk.png

Homework Equations

Cf=0.0577(μ/xρUm)0.2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've managed to do parts a) and b), however I don't believe my attempt at the first part is correct as I am using a different Cf than the value used in the mark scheme.

The expression I made for the first part is, 0.0577(μ/ρUm)0.2[x0.8], with limits L and 0.
This gave me a CDf of 0.00421, but it should be 0.00263:oldconfused:.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Turbulent friction coefficient over a plate

1. What is turbulent friction coefficient over a plate?

The turbulent friction coefficient over a plate is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the shear stress at the surface of a plate to the dynamic pressure of the fluid flow over the plate. It is an important parameter in the study of fluid mechanics and is used to characterize the level of turbulence in a flow.

2. How is the turbulent friction coefficient over a plate calculated?

The turbulent friction coefficient over a plate is calculated using the Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) equations, which are a set of differential equations that describe the motion of a fluid. The coefficient can also be calculated experimentally using wind tunnel tests or other methods.

3. What factors affect the turbulent friction coefficient over a plate?

The turbulent friction coefficient over a plate is affected by factors such as the viscosity of the fluid, the roughness of the plate surface, the velocity of the fluid flow, and the shape and size of the plate. Other factors such as temperature and pressure may also have an influence.

4. Why is the turbulent friction coefficient over a plate important?

The turbulent friction coefficient over a plate is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in motion. It is used in the design of various engineering systems, such as aircraft wings and ship hulls, to ensure safe and efficient operation. It is also a key parameter in the study of boundary layer flows, which play a significant role in many natural and industrial processes.

5. How does the turbulent friction coefficient over a plate differ from the laminar friction coefficient?

The laminar friction coefficient is a measure of the friction at the surface of a plate when the flow is smooth and orderly, whereas the turbulent friction coefficient is a measure of the friction when the flow is chaotic and irregular. The turbulent friction coefficient is generally higher than the laminar friction coefficient due to the increased mixing and energy loss caused by turbulence.